I’m such a salsa freak! It’s definitely one of my favorite foods and I pretty much eat it on everything!
The problem is…. I hate store bought salsa! Yuck! The only kind that I semi like is the organic Kirkland salsa from Costco. It’s actually not that bad. But… I ran out of it recently and needed a quick fix so I decided to pick up a regular store bought salsa while I was at the grocery store. Such a bad idea! It was so disgusting.
I’ve only ever made one homemade salsa recipe that someone gave to me about 15 years ago. Don’t get me wrong, I like it but I wanted to try something different so off I went in search of a new recipe. I decided to try a Restaurant Style Salsa recipe that I came across over at The Pioneer Woman. It was pretty basic and came together really quickly which I liked. But then I decided I needed a little more “heat” and flavor so I added a few extras to the mix and it turned out perfect!
It got a huge thumbs up from Joe too which is always nice!
- 2 cans of mexican stewed tomatoes
- 1 can of rotel tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and stem removed
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ½ lime, juiced squeezed into mixture
- 2 oz diced green chilies (1/2 of a small can)
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ cup cilantro
- * You can use a food processor or a ninja blender for this process..... You might have to work in batches if you can't fit everything in all at once. After everything is blended mix it together in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the mexican stewed tomatoes, rotel tomatoes, chopped yellow onion, jalapeno, sugar, salt, cumin, ground red pepper, minced garlic, garlic powder, green onions, lime juice, chipotle chili powder, cilantro and diced green chilies and blend until you reach the desired consistency.
- You might want to adjust the salt and a few of the other spices (garlic, cilantro & jalapeno) depending on how strong you want these flavors to be.
- This recipe makes a rather large batch of salsa!
Here are a few other recipes that would go great with this salsa recipe: