This is my family’s favorite cinnamon roll recipe. Once you’ve had these, you’ll never go back to the pre-made stuff in the can! Mixing the dough is easy if you have a bread machine. If you don’t have a bread machine, you could always mix the dough by hand or with a mixer or food processor. Make sure to use fresh yeast and warm or room temperature milk to ensure the dough rises and you’ll have delicious homemade cinnamon rolls that your family will love too!
- 1 Tablespoon and ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 4 Tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 3 cups bread flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- ¼ cup butter or margarine, softened
- ¼ sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅓ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Add milk, egg, and 4 Tablespoons of softened butter to bread pan.
- Add bread flour, 3 Tablespoons sugar and salt to pan.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients; add yeast. Place pan in bread maker.
- Select dough setting on bread maker. When done, remove pan from bread maker. Place dough on floured surface. Knead dough about one minute, then let rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll dough into a rectangle about 15x10 inches. Spread ¼ cup softened butter over dough to within 1 inch of the edges. In a small bowl, mix ¼ cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and chopped nuts. Then sprinkle the mixture evenly over the dough. Roll dough to form a long 12 inch evenly shaped roll. With a knife cut roll into 1 inch pieces to make 12 rolls. Place rolls into a greased 13x9 inch baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until double in size about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Uncover. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan for 10 to 15 minutes. Then drizzle with powder sugar icing made by combining 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 to 2 Tablespoons of milk and ½ teaspoon vanilla. Blend until smooth. If icing is too thick or thin, add more powdered sugar or milk until desired consistency is reached.
About The Pin Junkie
I have a passion for pinning. I’m a Pinterest junkie (or Pin Junkie for short) and I’m completely and happily addicted to Pinterest! I blog about the recipes, crafts and home improvement projects I do that are inspired by Pinterest. When I discovered Pinterest, I was instantly addicted and as a compulsive list maker, I’ve collected thousands of ideas on my Pinterest boards. I quickly realized that I didn’t want my boards to be a collection of pretty pictures and wishful thinking. I wanted my boards to be true inspiration boards that inspired doing and creating. Once I started making things, I wanted to share them with everyone and my blog The Pin Junkie was born!
Here are a few more recipes you might enjoy today: