I’ll admit, I’m guilty of sneaking veggies into our dinners on occasion. Sometimes if my family asks me what we’re having I might omit to truth just a little bit and say something like “we’re having Pork & Cheese tonight”. I’m not lying… but maybe I’m not telling the whole truth. If I were to say we’re having Pork & Cheese with Summer Veggies then my family would give me the ugly “I don’t want THAT” face. Yeah, even my hubby does it too! It was really frustrating the first half of our marriage because he never wanted what I was going to make for dinner. Then I finally realized that I just wouldn’t tell them the whole truth and it’s worked out just fine!
When I told them that I was making Pulled Pork Mac & Cheese tonight, of course everyone got really excited! It is one of our favorite meals and it’s so incredibly easy… but I decided that we needed to load it up with some veggie goodness this time.
I added a couple of different summer veggies and some minced garlic to it, and it turned out so delicious! So much better than just regular old Pork & Cheese! The BEST part is that my family ate it right up, veggies and all!
Score another point for this sneaky mom ;)
By the way… I used an organic Macaroni & Cheese for this recipe called Horizon. I love it because Horizon macaroni and cheese is made without artificial colors, flavors or preservatives! Boo-ya!
- 2 boxes of Mac & Cheese (We used Horizon Organic White Shells & Cheese with no extra colorings added)
- 1½ cups milk
- 2½ tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 medium zucchini, shredded on the cheese grater
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 can of sweet corn
- ½ package Smoked Pulled Pork (from Costco) or 2 cups diced ham
- Boil macaroni shells in a large saucepan per package directions and dump into a strainer to remove the water when they are finished cooking. Return shells back to the large saucepan and remove from the heat while everything continues to cook.
- In a separate large skillet add ½ tablespoon butter, zucchini, corn, green onion. minced garlic, salt & pepper and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Dump your veggie mixture into the large saucepan with macaroni shells.
- Add your pork to the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes being careful not to overcook it. Once it's finished cooking add it to your shells and veggie mixture.
- Return the large saucepan to the burner over medium heat. Add your milk, remaining butter, shredded cheddar cheese and cheese packets from the Mac & Cheese boxes. Stir well and allow the cheese to melt.
- Once the cheese is melted serve and enjoy!
Here are a few other recipes that you might enjoy today:
Here are a few other links to blogs that I LOVE to follow that have really delicious looking Pulled Pork BBQ Mac & Cheese recipes that you might enjoy today as well ….
- Nutmeg Nanny | Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese
- Healthy. Delicious. | Pulled Pork Macaroni & Cheese
- Food Faith Fitness | Healthier Mac and Cheese with BBQ Pulled Pork and caramelized onions