I only had one question after I made this dish for the first time this week… Why the heck did I wait so long to make Creamy Bacon Spaghetti Pasta Carbonara at home?
This dish tasted great just the way it was but I think next time the only thing I will do different is add a couple of seasoned grilled chicken breasts to the sauce. Oh yeah, that would be good!
Now, with that being said… the cooking process did freak me out when I first read so I decided to do it just a little differently from the original recipe that I found over at Just Get Off Your Butt And Bake.
I added a few ingredients, cooked the sauce longer than suggested and we were very happy with how it turned out 🙂
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 7 slices bacon, crumbled up
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped white mushrooms
- 1/2 package of spaghetti
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Cook your noodles per package directions and leave in the hot water until ready to add to your skillet.
- In a mixing bowl add your eggs, cream, parmesan, dried parsley flakes, garlic salt, ground black pepper, and minced garlic. Combine your ingredients so that the eggs are all beat together with the other ingredients. I used a hand mixer just to make sure they were all incorporated really good!
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook your bacon over medium heat. When done remove from skillet and chop or crumble into small pieces and set aside. And this was the only rare occasion that I didn’t pat the bacon with a napkin to remove the grease. I actually wanted a little bit of the grease flavor in the pasta. I know unhealthy.
- Add your onion and mushroom to your hot skillet with a little bit of bacon grease and let cook until onions are tender.
- Once your noodles are done cooking drain all of the water, except for about 2 tablespoons and put the noodles into the skillet with the onions and mushrooms and remove from the burner for a few minutes to let your pan cool down.
- Add the 2 reserved tablespoons of hot noodle liquid to the egg mixture slowly while whisking. Don’t add it too fast or you will end up with scrambled eggs which would be bad. Funny, but bad.
- Once you have added the liquid to your eggs you are ready to add your sauce to the noodles. I poured the sauce directly over the noodles in the skillet and turned the burner on med-LOW and kept stirring so that the sauce didn’t get too hot in any once place. It’s important to warm the sauce up slowly or you will have scrambled eggs in your pasta.
- Now I’m a complete freak and was a little hesitant to make this dish because of the raw eggs in the sauce. The original recipe called for just the noodles into the sauce then it was done… but I cooked mine over med-LOW heat for about 5 minutes until I was sure all of the parmesan cheese was melted and the eggs were done. I did it so slowly enough that I didn’t have any problems with my eggs cooking too fast or too much.
- Add your crumbled bacon to the top of your pasta before serving.
- It might sound a little scary to make this but trust me when I say that it was well worth it. This really wasn’t hard to make and it really did turn out to be very delicious.
- Shauna’s Tips……
- When we made left overs we added a little bit of milk when warming it up and it turned out really delicious on the second day too!
- Super easy if you want to use an entire package of spaghetti… just double the sauce ingredients!