Sometimes I have to get a little creative when it comes to cooking for my family.
They have their favorites and it can be kind of hard to get them to try new things.
That’s what happened to me when I stumbled across a recipe from Simply Recipes for their Easy Shepherds Pie. To say it was amazing is an understatement. It is an out of this world Shepherds Pie. Of course I tweaked it a little bit but really, it is to die for.
But… I can only eat so much hamburger if you know what I mean? Without fail if I ask my family what they would like for dinner one of them will respond with Shepherds Pie! Welcome to my world.
So I had to change it up a bit. I kept the same basic ingredients but I just tweaked Simply Recipes Easy Shepherds Pie and turned it into a Chicken Shepherds Pie that is absolutely amazing.
Don’t take my word for it though. This one you’ll definitely want to try for yourself 🙂
Chicken Shepherds Pie
Looking for a delicious Chicken Shepherd's Pie Recipe? Look no further!
- 3-4 chicken breasts I always use 3 because ours are fairly large
- 1 can cream of chicken soup + 3/4 can of milk
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth/stock could use bouillon granules if you had those on hand
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups peas & carrots mixture I use frozen
- 1-2 packages of butter flavored instant potatoes depending on how big the package is or you could make your own homemade if you had the time!
- 1 1/2 cups shredded monterrey / colby jack cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400°
- Boil your peas and carrots per package directions, drain & set aside.
- Prepare your homemade or instant potatoes per package directions and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan whisk together your cream of chicken soup + 3/4 can of milk and heat over med-low heat until just barely starting to bubble. Turn off and let sit until you are ready to use it.
- Meanwhile, add your chopped onion to a large skillet with 1 tablespoon of butter and 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic. Cook until onion is tender. Put onion mixture in a bowl with the peas and carrots and set aside.
- Cut your chicken breasts into small bite sized pieces and cook over medium heat in your skillet until starting to brown. Add your chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, onion mixture, and peas/carrots and continue cooking until all liquid has absorbed. Now put this mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish and spread evenly.
- Pour your cream of chicken soup directly on top of the chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle about 1/4 cup cheese on top of the soup mixture.
- Now carefully add your potatoes by heaping spoonfuls onto the soup & cheese mixture. Using the back of your spoon, spread the potato mixture evenly across the entire 9x13 casserole dish so that the potatoes are flat on the top.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the potatoes and place in the oven and cook for approximately 20 minutes.
Chicken Shepherds Pie
Amount Per Serving
Calories 466 Calories from Fat 207
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23g 35%
Saturated Fat 12g 60%
Cholesterol 163mg 54%
Sodium 701mg 29%
Potassium 901mg 26%
Total Carbohydrates 12g 4%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Protein 50g 100%
Vitamin A 145.6%
Vitamin C 17.3%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Find out where The Best Blog Recipes likes to party and link up our recipes by visiting our Link Parties Page
All bloggers that host weekly link parties are welcome to submit their party button using InLinkz so that we may visit you on the day of your party and link up a few of our newest recipes!
We’d also love for you to come back and link up with us at The Weekend re-Treat Link Party that runs every Friday – Sunday on The Best Blog Recipes! Hope we see you there!