My sweet hubby offered this week to take me out to dinner… anywhere I wanted!
We always eat at our favorite Mexican restaurant and since this was a special date for us I wanted to change it up a bit. Steak was sounding pretty darn good so I thought a yummy steak restaurant would be a good idea, except I don’t like the price. A good steak place costs us at least $50 when we eat out and we just don’t have that kind of money lately (not that we ever really did, but in my own mind I’d like to think we did).
So I had the great idea to grill steaks at home to save us money and they turned out better than any steak we could have ordered at our local restaurant!
In my search of a couple of different sites for an easy topping to put on our steaks I came across a site called Cully’s Kitchen. The thing that really got me was that the woman who blogs over at Cully’s Kitchen is the mom of Blogchef! Haha! Cooking must run in their family and since I love Blogchef I thought I’d give this simple Grilled Garlic Butter Steak Recipe a try.
Here’s my baby standing out in 90° weather over the grill cooking me an awesome steak while I was inside in the nice AC prepping our salad & loaded mashed potatoes (recipe coming soon)!
The great thing about this meal is that it cost us $27 for a package of 4 amazing filet mignon steaks from Costco. We added loaded mashed potatoes, a side salad & drinks. So we spent about $35 total for everything and we were able to feed 4 adults! How awesome is that 🙂 We saved $15 and fed an extra 2 people “vs” going 0ut and getting a steak at a restaurant!
- 4 filet mignon steaks (or any steak of your choice really)
- ½ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (we used store bought that was already minced)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Take your steaks out of the fridge and place on a plate. Sprinkle them with salt & pepper and let sit for about 30 minutes on the counter so that they can come up to room temperature
- Spray your grill grates with cooking spray (***make sure the grill is still off while you do this!)
- Preheat the grill to medium heat
- Put your steaks on the grill and let cook for about 5-10 minutes per side or until steaks reach your desired doneness. (for me it’s med-well so I cook closer to 10 per side)
- While your steaks are cooking place your butter, garlic powder & minced garlic in a small sauce pan over med-low heat and whisk together. Allow to melt but make sure not to overcook the mixture.
- When your steaks are done put them on a warm plate (placing it under the broiler for 2 mintues does the trick) and spoon your garlic butter mixture over the top of the steaks and allow them to “rest” for 3 minutes before serving.
Something I wish I would have done is make an easy bread to go with our steaks as an appetizer like at Outback Steak House. Here’s an awesome recipe from Kate over at I Heart Eating. She submitted this Honey Wheat Bread Recipe (Outback Steakhouse Copy Cat) to The Weekend re-Treat Link Party #9 and it looks amazing and would have went perfectly with our steak dinner!
Here are some other recipes you might enjoy while you’re here today: