If you’ve followed along with me for any amount of time you know that I start out a lot of my posts with “I have a confession”. Well, I’ve got another one for you today. Here it goes… I made Spicy Chicken Street Tacos not once, but twice throughout the day! For lunch and dinner. They were that good. If you read my post “Confessions of an Overweight Food Blogger” then you already know that I have to change my eating habits because I’m waaaay unhealthy right now. It’s a good post and I way over-share more than I ever do!
Ok, back to these street tacos and why I love them so much. First of all they are Gluten Free. I don’t have any reason to go Gluten Free except that I am addicted to carbs and all of their wheat-y goodness… and trust me that’s not a good thing my friends. I seriously could live off of bread, tortillas, and crackers. Sooo, that’s why I decided to try this whole Gluten Free thing for a while. Just to see if I felt better and if I lost any weight in the process >>> I put a weight update right above the recipe just in case you wanted to know how it was going.
*Be sure to sign up for The Best Blog Recipes email newsletter… you can enjoy these posts in your inbox.
Now, I’m not usually a fan of corn tortillas. Not even a little bit. I love corn chips but corn tortillas are not my thing. But I’m a big girl and and want to make big girl healthy decisions so I bought myself a package even though I had no idea what I was going to make with them. I just knew I liked things wrapped in a tortilla so switching out my flour for corn seemed like a good place to start.
Then I did what any rational person who wants to lose a couple of pounds does… I turned to Pinterest for recipes to make with my new package of corn-y tortillas. One of my blogging friends Tiffany over at Creme de la Crumb had an ah-maaazing looking recipe for some Santa Monica Street Tacos and I started drooling so I knew I had to try them. You should click over to her post and check out her drool-worthy pictures. Holy cow, I couldn’t help myself!
I changed up the recipe just a bit because I didn’t have any beef in the house, but I did have chicken so off I went to the kitchen. It didn’t take too long to whip up these bad boys at all. I added some black beans, seasonings, rotel tomatoes, cheese, avocados, lettuce, onions, chipotle ranch dressing and YUMMMM they were good you guys. I didn’t even mind the corn tortillas one little bit and that kind of surprised me.
You know hunger makes the best cook right? So, I waited a couple of hours until I wasn’t as hungry and made a second batch (don’t laugh, I’m a food blogger so I cook a LOT!). I wanted to make sure the flavor was really fantastic and it wasn’t just my hungry tummy saying it was good. I can happily say that I loved them the second time around too! So good… and so much healthier than on the flour tortillas.
I think I might actually be able to do this whole Gluten Free thing if food will taste this good.
I’m on day #4 of my healthier eating and I’m down 4.9 pounds as of this morning 🙂 Things I’ve eliminated so far: gluten everything, double stuffed oreos, the container of chocolate frosting in my fridge that I would just get a spoonful of, chips and soda. I’ve replaced those things with lots of fruits, veggies and corn-y tortillas.
- corn tortillas
- 3 large boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican Chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup diced yellow or white onion
- 1/4 cup rotel tomatoes w/ the juices
- 1 avocado, cut up into chunks
- 1 can black beans, heated in a small sauce pan over medium heat
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
- chipotle ranch dressing
- Heat oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt, cayenne pepper, Mexican Chipotle chili powder and garlic powder. Add chicken to pan and sauté until cooked through. Drain off any chicken liquid if needed. Add minced garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes longer.
- In a separate large skillet heat your tortillas on each side until they start to “bubble” up. This way they’ll be easier to fold and taste super yummy!
- Then add ¼ cup chicken to each tortilla. Top with lettuce, onions, about a tablespoon of rotel tomatoes, avocado, cheese and beans. Drizzle with your favorite chipotle ranch dressing. Enjoy!