Last updated on
Table of Contents
These LOADED BAKED POTATO ROUNDS make the perfect appetizer, side dish, snack, game day food, or anytime treat when you are craving something that is hot, ooey-gooey, covered in melted cheese and topped with bacon.
I’m not gonna lie… I love any easy to make food that is covered in cheese and bacon. Who doesn’t, right? Top it with green onions and I seriously can’t resist, and neither can my family.
When I saw these little rounds of potato goodness on Pinterest I just knew my family would go ga-ga over them — and they did!
Since it’s Football season around here right now I sometimes have to get food creative when friends and family come over for the game. My SUPER EASY Million Dollar Cream Cheese and Garlic Dip usually does the trick, and everyone always gobbles it right up.
But this past week I decided to do a few hot treats instead since the weather changed and it’s all of about 43° outside. Burrr!!!
After taking inventory of what I had in the kitchen I decided to do something with potatoes. I went to my super secret stockpile of recipes I want to make (aka: Pinterest), and I remembered that I saw these potato rounds that kind of, sort of… made me drool.
But being the cheese, butter, garlic, salt, green onion, bacon lover that I am… I wanted to make them even more buttery, even more garlicky, and even more DELICIOUS than the original recipe. That’s why I decided to use minced garlic cloves, and a WHOLE lot of butter. Don’t judge.
Oh, but butter and garlic weren’t enough. Nope, bacon makes everything better so I fried up half a package for this recipe.
DISCLAIMER :: I realize this isn’t the healthiest of recipes. I get that, but trust me when I say this.. if you are going to have a cheat day this is the recipe you should indulge on. It’s amazingly delicious!
All you need for this Loaded Baked Potato Rounds recipe is a few simple ingredients :: 1) Potatoes 2) Butter, and LOTS of it 3) Bacon 4) Salt, not table salt, use sea salt so it’s a bit chunkier and has more texture 5) Shredded Cheddar Cheese 6) Green Onions 7) Pepper 8) Cooking Spray 9) a Baking Tray 10) an Oven!
If you have those things then you’re all set.
I did a quick wash and scrub-a-dub on 2 potatoes, then just sliced them evenly to create rounds that would hold my cheesy, bacon-y goodness. The original recipe wanted me to boil the potatoes but I’m just being serious when I say this — I didn’t want to dirty a big pot because then you know who was going to have to wash it… and that just wasn’t going to happen.
I tossed some salt, pepper and then did a big drizzle of butter on the potatoes and threw them in the microwave for 2 minutes, stirred them, and microwaved for another 2-3 minutes.
I quickly minced some fresh garlic and sprinkled it on the top of the potatoes and then threw them in the oven for 20 minutes to bake while I cooked up my bacon. Once both of those were done I assembled them like so :: Potato Rounds with Salt & Pepper, Minced Garlic, MORE butter, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Bacon, Green Onions.
Seriously, you can’t go wrong with this recipe. It’s HOT, delicious, and a real crowd pleaser. It’s easy to make and if you need to feed a crowd, just double the recipe.
Did we mention that this is a budget friendly game day appetizer?! Score!!
Loaded Baked Potato Rounds
- 2 Whole Idaho Potatoes - Washed & Sliced
- 4 Stalks Green Onions - Washed & Sliced
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Half Package Bacon - Sliced & Cooked
- 1 Stick Salted Butter - Divided
- Half Teaspoon Sea Salt
- Half Teaspoon Pepper
- Wash your green onions and chop them. Mince your garlic. Set aside.
- Wash and scrub your potatoes. Slice into rounds.
- Add potatoes in a bowl and pour 2 tablespoons of melted butter over them.
- Sprinkle your salt and pepper. Stir. Microwave for 2 minutes, stir, microwave for another 2-3 minutes.
- Place potato rounds on a baking sheet and sprinkle with garlic. Bake in the oven at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Cook your bacon. Drain the strips, cut pieces on a towel lined plate.
- When the potatoes are tender and starting to crisp around the edges remove them from the oven and brush on more melted butter.
- Sprinkle your shredded cheddar cheese, bacon, and green onions.
- Bake at 350° until the cheese is melted. Top with sour cream (if you like that kind of thing) Serve and enjoy!