Is it weird that this is only the second time in 7 years of marriage that I've made a Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? Come to think of it... the last time I made it I don't think my hubby was even home and my daughter and I ended up eating all of it... so that time doesn't really count. So I guess you could say this is the first time in 7 years of marriage that I have made my husband Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.
With this being the first time I made this for my husband I wanted to make sure that it was really yummy and tasty. He's super picky (that's the understatement of the year) and I knew that I had to get it right on the first try or he wouldn't ever want me to make another Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup again because that's just how he is. Yeah, it's tons of fun cooking for a picky eater! Ssshhhhh... don't tell him I said that, ok : )
After searching a few of my favorite blogs I decided to try a "Skinny" Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup. I don't generally make him "Skinny" recipes because he complains too much about them but the one that I found over at Gimme Some Oven looked way too good not to try! I even showed him the picture of the recipe and I may have left out that it was skinny... oops!
Skinny Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ large yellow onion chopped
- 1 large handful of baby carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- ⅓ cup flour
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1 12 oz. can evaporated skim milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tablespoon Organic Better Than Bouillon
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: Chopped Cilantro my husband's favorite
- In a large skillet heat your oil and add the onion, celery, carrots and minced garlic. Cook for about 10 minutes or until starting to get tender. Add your cooked, shredded chicken and sprinkle flour over mixture. Stir well to coat everything.
- Transfer mixture to a large pot and add your chicken stock. Bring to a boil and stir well. Let simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes. Add your black pepper, salt, better than bouillon, skim milk, and egg noodles. Stir well and let simmer uncovered for an additional 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Top with chopped cilantro if desired and serve immediately.
Here are a few of our other recipes that you might enjoy: