It's a known fact that I'm not a huge fish lover. My husband eats it all of the time and I'm the one who's always opening the windows because I'm not a fan of how it smells. The only fish that I really like is Tilapia because it's so mild in flavor and doesn't smell fishy. When I told him that I was going to make these Spicy Mexican Tilapia Bowls he was surprised because it's not something that I'd usually try out.
I saw a yummy recipe over at Jo Cooks for her Spicy Fish Taco Bowls. They looked good so I thought I'd go ahead and give her recipe a try. I'm so glad I did because it turned out sooo good! I was really surprised at how non fishy it was and how delicious it tasted. Of course I made it my own and changed it up a little bit. I added a Ranch Sour Cream dressing and used Rotel tomatoes and it was the perfect addition!
When we sat down to eat our Spicy Mexican Tilapia Bowls my hubby just looked at me. He couldn't believe how good they turned out! We both rated them a 4.5 on a scale of 1-5 (our top rated favorite all time meal is our Mexican Soup!). Hope you enjoy it as much as we did! I'd love to hear how it turned out for you or what changes you made in the comments below!
Spicy Mexican Tilapia Bowls
- 2 Tilapia Filets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon mexican chipotle chili powder
- ½ of a yellow onion chopped
- ½ can of Rotel tomatoes
- 1 15.25- oz can of sweet corn
- 1 15- oz can of black beans rinsed and drained
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 avocado cut in small pieces
- 2 cups basamati rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon organic chicken better than bouillon -- or chicken bouillon granules
- ¼ cup ranch dressing
- ¼ cup sour cream
- RICE DIRECTIONS:
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter, 1 teaspoon or your better than bouillon and your basamati rice to a medium pot. Allow to cook over medium heat until lightly browned (you can skip this step if you don't have a ton of time).
- Add your chicken stock to the rice and stir. Bring your mixture to a boil. Cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes. At 20 minutes turn off the heat and fluff with a fork. Allow to sit until the rest of your meal is done.
- FOR THE SPICY TILAPIA MIXTURE:
- Mix your spices in a bowl and stir well. Pat your Tilapia Fillets dry and cover with the spice mixture on all sides. Place your Tilapia in a medium skillet with 2 tablespoons of heated oil. Cook for about 3-4 minutes per side or until the fish flakes easily and is completely white in the middle.
- Add your corn, onions, garlic powder and pepper to the hot skillet and cook for about 4-5 minutes or until you onion is soft.
- Add your beans and rotel tomatoes to the corn and onion mixture and stir well. Add your shredded Tilapia to the mixture and stir well.
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- Combine your favorite ranch dressing with sour cream (we used ¼ cup of each) and whisk it together.
- ASSEMBLE YOUR BOWL:
- Layer your bowl with rice, tilapia mixture, avocado and then top it off with your dressing!
- Serve and enjoy!