This Easy French Strawberry Cake from The Best Blog Recipes uses simple pantry ingredients plus fresh strawberries. It comes out of the oven hot, delicious, and will have your guests asking for more!
Easy French Strawberry Cake
Have you ever had a French Strawberry Cake before? If not, you are really missing out. It is everything that you love about a delicious strawberry sweet treat in an easy to make dessert recipe!
It makes the perfect after Sunday Dinner Dessert served with a scoop of your favorite ice cream!
This one bowl recipe is simple to prep, easy to make, and so yummy when it comes time to eat. It really is the perfect summer cake for all of your special occasions.
Have I mentioned how excited I am that fresh strawberries are coming back into season?! I could seriously eat Strawberries at every meal. They are so juicy, delicious, tart, and sweet. Slice them up and add them to a grilled chicken salad and I am in heaven!
Strawberries in dessert — don’t even get me started. I could go on and on about all of the Strawberry recipes that I LOVE, and all of the recipes that I still have on my list to try!
Strawberries for the win, I think so!
For me, baking is always a fun time in the kitchen. I love how you can combine easy ingredients and make a delicious dessert that everyone loves. Since I have 3 hungry boys in the house who always seem to have a sweet tooth I have to get kind of creative sometimes, and EASY recipes come in handy when I don’t have a ton of time to spend in the kitchen.
Step-By-Step Recipe Tutorial
Now it’s time to get started.
Grab a large bowl and start by pouring your sugar and dumping your room temperature butter into a large mixing bowl. You can either use a stand mixer or hand mixer to cream them together. For this recipe I opted for my hand mixer since this was what I had on hand.
Don’t forget your eggs friends! This recipe only calls for 2, and I added them one at a time after I creamed together the butter and sugar.
After you have your sugar, butter, and eggs mixed together it’s time to add your pure vanilla extract, flour mixture, and greek yogurt.
You can also substitute sour cream, but personally I like adding a good greek yogurt to recipes where I can. It adds an extra 17 grams of protein to this recipe and if I’m going to let my family eat cake I’d prefer that they get a little bit of extra goodness!
For this cake I decided to go a little overboard with the strawberries. After all was said and done I ended up with about 2 cups chopped strawberries for the cake mixture, and another 1/2 of a cup to sprinkle on the top.
The top strawberries are completely optional.
For me personally, I decided that the cake would be so much prettier with an extra layer of strawberries, and I’m so glad I added them.
I like to sprinkle sugar on the top of the cake before I bake it — about 1/4 cup total. Again, this is optional, but I highly recommend it. In every bite you get a little bit of sweet from the sugar and tart from the strawberries.
You could always adjust depending on how much sugar you want to add, but I’ve found 1/4 cup is perfect for this recipe!
Oh look at that goodness… It’s a cake lovers dream come true!
It’s best to wait until this cake cools to room temperature before serving. It’s easier to cut and get out of your baking dish if it’s fully cooled down.
Honestly, this was the hardest part of the entire recipe for me — waiting for it to cool. I couldn’t wait to dig in!
Serve it by itself or which a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream, either way — it’s bound to become a new family favorite recipe for sure!
Easy French Strawberry Cake
- 1 stick salted butter room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup sugar dived
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 oz plain greek yogurt
- 2 1/2 cups fresh strawberries chopped
- Add 1 cup sugar and butter to a large mixing bowl. Use a hand mixer to cream together
- Add eggs in one at a time, continue to mix until incorporated
- Add vanilla and mix together well.
- In a separate mixing bowl mix together your dry ingredients. Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and use the hand mixer to incorporate. Add 1/2 of the greek yogurt and mix with the hand mixer to incorporate. Repeat.
- Dump in 2 cups chopped / cut fresh strawberries. Use a spatula to fold together gently
- Spray an 11x7 baking dish with cooking spray. Add your batter to the baking dish. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of fresh strawberries
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar over the top of the batter and fresh strawberries
- Preheat your oven to 350°. Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown and set up. (Mine wasn't 100% set up in the middle, when I put a knife in the middle it came out with a little bit of gooey batter on it. That's what you want. This isn't a traditional cake. It will continue to set up after you take it out of the oven to cool
- Let cook in the baking dish for 30 minutes
- Serve with your favorite vanilla ice cream or whipped cream