Table of Contents
This yummy soup looks as good as it tastes and is full of the beautiful colors and flavors of Tuscany! Let the slow cooker do the work of melding delicious Tuscan flavors together for a warm, comforting meal.
Slow Cooker Tuscan Soup
Slow cooker recipes make dinner easier: it takes only a few minutes to get the ingredients for this soup ready, then you’re hands free until dinner time!
Your house will smell incredible as the Tuscan flavors simmer in the slow cooker. In the last few minutes of cooking, you’ll add the penne and kale to get perfectly al dente pasta and wilted greens.
The whole family will be ready to dig in with their spoons and a slice of crusty bread after feasting on the aroma. Garnish with extra cheese and you’ll have a meal they’ll be coming back for.
Slow Cooker Tuscan Soup Ingredients
- Tomatoes – crushed
- Chicken broth
- Onion – yellow
- Italian sausage – sweet or spicy
- Garlic – minced
- Basil – dried
- Oregano – dried
- Red pepper – crushed
- Black pepper
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese – grated
- Penne Pasta
Crushed tomatoes and cream create the characteristic orange color of the Tuscan soup. Reminiscent of red-tile roofs and countryside sunsets, the ingredients have the look and taste of Italy.
Italian sausage gives the soup a fantastic flavor. Choose either sweet or spicy Italian sausage, depending on your taste preferences.
A Tuscany-inspired soup simply couldn’t be without a generous helping of herbs to flavor the creamy, tomato base. Basil and oregano along with onion and garlic make this soup absolutely irresistible.
How to Make Slow Cooker Tuscan Soup
FIRST STEP: In a large pan add sausage, onion, and garlic. Roughly chop while the sausage is cooking and cook over medium-high heat until the sausage is completely cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
SECOND STEP: Once the sausage is cooked remove from heat and drain excess grease, if you desire.
THIRD STEP: In a 6 qt. slow cooker, add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, cooked sausage, and all of the seasonings.
FOURTH STEP: Add lid onto the slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low 4-5.
FIFTH STEP: Add heavy cream, shredded parmesan cheese, and penne and cook for another 20 minutes.
SIXTH STEP: Then add chopped kale and cook for another 10 minutes
SEVENTH STEP: Once cooked, serve and garnish with more cheese if you so desire.
Can I use fresh herbs?
When using fresh herbs, they should be added to a soup near the end of cooking. Dried herbs are recommended for this recipe so they have time to simmer and flavor the components.
What’s the difference between sweet and spicy Italian sausage?
Both kinds are most often made from pork and seasoned with fennel seed or anise. Spicy Italian sausage also has red pepper to give it a kick. Sweet Italian Sausage is also called “mild” and they are used interchangeably.
Can I cook the sausage in the slow cooker?
If you have a slow cooker with a sear setting, you can saute your sausage, onions, and garlic in the slow cooker. This allows you to omit the use of an additional pan.
How to Store Slow Cooker Tuscan Soup
IN THE FRIDGE: Store in the fridge for up to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: Cool the soup first, then pour in freezer-safe bags. Lie flat in the freezer to save space. Store frozen soup for up to three months.
Slow Cooker Tuscan Soup
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes (28-ounce)
- 2 boxes of chicken broth (32-ounce)
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1½ pounds sweet or spicy Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cup kale roughly chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-n-half milk would work too
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese plus more for topping
- 1 package Penne Pasta (16-ounce)
- In a large pan add sausage, onion, and garlic. Roughly chop while the sausage is cooking and cook over medium-high heat until the sausage is completely cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Once the sausage is cooked remove from heat and drain excess grease, if you desire.
- In a 6 qt. slow cooker, add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, cooked sausage, and all of the seasonings.
- Add lid onto the slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low 4-5.
- Add heavy cream, shredded parmesan cheese, and penne and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Then add chopped kale and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, serve and garnish with more cheese if you so desire.