Let's be 100% honest for a minute. I wasn't going to put this recipe on the blog today. I already have an awesome banana muffin recipe on our blog that we LOVE and I just didn't know if I should have two. BUT. This recipe is an egg free AND dairy free Vegan Banana Muffins recipe made with coconut oil so it's completely different. I thought, what the heck. We'll have two.
You're cool with that, right?
Wondering why I made a Vegan recipe on The Best Blog Recipes? Well, I definitely don't mind trying new things. I mean, that's the whole point of "The Best Blog Recipes". Trying recipes from other blogs and sharing the best ones with you. But I'm not Vegan. Not even one bit. Put a stick of butter and a couple of eggs in the mix and I'm good to go. I eat really unhealthy sometimes and it takes a strong woman to admit that 😉
Maybe it's more like most of the time but who's keeping track?
I actually made this recipe for our son. Our extremely picky can't have dairy because he is lactose intolerant 2 year old son. I thought maybe if I made muffins that he can have that he'd try them. And love them. And eat them all up. Nope. He didn't even try one single bite. Why, because he is that picky. At least I feel like a good mom by offering it to him. I'll have to tell you some day soon about his Sensory Processing Disorder and how it affects his eating. I won't do it today because it's a long story but I promise to share soon!
You know he's so stinkin cute (I'm his mom so I'm totally allowed to think that) that it's hard to be mad when I make a whole batch of muffins for him and he won't eat them. Nope, he'd rather have his soy patties which are good... but these Vegan Banana Muffins are better!
Vegan Banana Muffins made with Coconut Oil
- 3 medium banana's ripe and smashed really well
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- ½ cup rice milk warmed (almond or soy would work too)
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- *For the Topping*
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
- Pre-heat your oven to 400°. Grease and flour your muffin tins (you could use the paper liners too but I didn't have any so I just greased and floured ours).
- Mash your bananas on a plate and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine your flour, baking powder, cinnamon, apple pie spice and a dash of salt. Mix together.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine your sugar, melted coconut oil, warmed milk, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Mix together until all sugar lumps have dissolved (I used a hand mixer to make sure everything was incorporated well).
- Combine your mashed bananas with your wet mixture and pour into the dry mixture. Fold over and over until mixed and all white powder lumps have been mixed in. Try to do this in the least amount of folds as possible. If you fold your mixture too much your muffins will become rubbery.
- Fill your muffin tins about ¾ of the way full and place in the oven. I baked ours for "about" 15 minutes but times will vary depending on how full you fill your tins and how hot your oven runs. Watch the tops of your muffins and when they start to brown then check them with a toothpick. If it comes out clean with just a few crumbs on it then they are done. If you get any gooey mixture on the toothpick put them back in for another 3 minutes and check again.
- Leave the muffins in the tins for about 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to continue to cool completely. When you're ready to serve dip the tops of the muffins in your sugar, cinnamon and apple spice mixture.
- Then just serve and enjoy!
- --> I really recommend letting these cool completely before eating. I'm usually a huge fan of eating right when something comes out of the oven but these were really great once they cooled down and had the sugar on the top!
This awesome recipe was adapted from the very delicious blog Averie Cooks. To see her original recipe please check out her Fluffy Vegan Coconut Oil Banana Muffins recipe. She's got some amazing pictures too that you won't want to miss!