Table of Contents
When you’re craving a salad, you want a salad with a bite to it. This crunchy Waldorf Salad is sure to become one of your favorites!
It’s said that the Waldorf Salad was created by the Waldorf Hotel maître d' in 1893. It started as a simple salad consisting of ingredients that could be found all year; apples, celery, and mayonnaise. Over the years, the salad has been tweaked and additions have been made.
Waldorf Salad is perfect served as is, or on a bed of lettuce. You could also make individual portions for a brunch or gala event. Try serving individual portions in a coupe glass, or in a large, hollowed-out apple. Your guests will be in awe of your presentation!
The best part of the Waldorf Salad is that it doesn’t require any cooking! In 15 minutes, you can chop your ingredients and mix them all together to create a crowd-pleasing salad!
Waldorf Salad Ingredients
- Whipping cream - heavy whipping cream
- Apples - Granny Smith apples
- Apples - Gala apples
- Grapes - green seedless grapes
- Grapes - red seedless grapes
- Walnuts - chopped walnuts
- Lemon juice
- Sugar - granulated sugar
You want to make sure to pick crispy apples. We recommend Granny Smith and Gala apples for the perfect bite. Two different apple flavors give your Waldorf Salad a tasty mixture. If you want to add some variety, you could use one green apple and one red apple. Red Delicious, Honey Crisp, or Fuji apples would be our suggestions.
When chopping your ingredients, be careful to make them the same size. Ensuring that your apples, celery, grapes, etc are about the same size so that you’ll get a mouthful of flavor in each bite! To pack in even more flavor, try toasting the walnuts before adding them to your salad.
And you can always jazz up your Waldorf Salad with some of your favorite flavors! Mix up the fruit flavors by using pears instead of apples. Or adding mandarins, pineapple, cranberries, etc. Adding chicken or turkey to your salad is a simple way to make your salad more filling. And some people add mini marshmallows to Waldorf Salads for some extra sweetness!
How to Make Waldorf Salad
FIRST STEP: Using a medium-sized mixing bowl and a handheld mixer at high speed, beat the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
SECOND STEP: Gently fold in the mayonnaise. Set it aside.
THIRD STEP: Using a large mixing bowl, add the chopped apples, celery, grapes, and walnuts.
FOURTH STEP: Sprinkle the lemon juice and granulated sugar over the apple mixture.
FIFTH STEP: Using a large spoon, stir to completely coat the apple mixture.
SIXTH STEP: Gently fold the mayonnaise mixture into the apple mixture. Cover tightly and refrigerate for 1 hour. Just before serving, garnish with the reserved halved grapes.
What are the Best Apples to Use for Waldorf Salad?
We recommend Granny Smith and Gala apples for the perfect bite! You want your apples to be nice and crispy.
Can I Make Waldorf Salad Ahead of Time?
We wouldn’t recommend making Waldorf Salad more than two hours ahead of time.
What kind of grapes are best for this salad?
The best grapes for this easy apple and grape salad recipe are red and green seedless grapes. You don’t want to be using a variety of grapes that have seeds in them for this salad.
How to Store Waldorf Salad
IN THE FRIDGE: We recommend eating Waldorf Salad the day of for the freshest taste. If you do have leftovers, they can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 days to ensure the salad ingredients stay crispy.
IN THE FREEZER: We do not recommend freezing Waldorf Salad leftovers. The ingredients will not remain crisp once thawed.
- 1 cup diced Granny Smith apples cored with the skin left on
- 1 cup diced Gala apples cored with the skin left on
- ¾ cup finely diced celery
- ½ cup halved green seedless grapes 3 to 4 extra halved grapes for an optional garnish
- ½ cup halved red seedless grapes 3 to 4 extra halved grapes for an optional garnish
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Using a medium-sized mixing bowl and a handheld mixer at high speed, beat the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in the mayonnaise. Set it aside.
- Using a large mixing bowl, add the chopped apples, celery, grapes, and walnuts.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice and granulated sugar over the apple mixture.
- Using a large spoon, stir to completely coat the apple mixture.
- Gently fold the mayonnaise mixture into the apple mixture. Cover tightly and refrigerate for 1 hour. Just before serving, garnish with the reserved halved grapes.