Last updated on
Table of Contents
What is bread pudding? The basic idea is similar to French toast: cubes of bread soaked in an egg mixture and baked in a casserole dish. Homemade bread pudding is delicious and simple. Make this classic, old-fashioned dessert from scratch just like grandma used to make.
This recipe is quick and easy to put together. It only takes a few minutes to mix up the egg mixture, which gets poured over the bread then baked. The best part is perhaps the sauce. A warm caramel sauce drizzled over the top makes this bread pudding irresistible. A rum or bourbon sauce would be excellent as well.
Bread pudding is extremely versatile. Try adding a can of fruit filling to the egg mixture. Apple, blueberry, cherry, peach, pear, pineapple, and more. For a richer alternative, add chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or butterscotch chips. Add pecans or other nuts either to the custard itself or the sauce. The custard mixture calls for a heavy cream base, however, you could also use egg nog.
Bread Pudding Ingredients
- French or Italian bread
- Whole milk
- Light brown sugar
- Heavy cream
The best bread pudding is made with stale cubes of bread. Any type of stale bread can be used. It’s a great way to use up stale sandwich bread, hamburger or hot dog buns, or even croissants!
Get really creative and try bread pudding with cinnamon raisin bread or other flavored bread. Banana bread pudding sounds amazing! Pumpkin bread pudding could be a variation for fall.
How to Make Bread Pudding
FIRST STEP: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
SECOND STEP: Lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray
THIRD STEP: Spread the cubed bread evenly in the bottom of the baking dish.
FOURTH STEP: In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla until well incorporated.
FIFTH STEP: Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
SIXTH STEP: After the bread mixture has set for 10 minutes, drizzle the 4 tablespoons of melted butter on top of the soaked bread cubes.
SEVENTH STEP: Place the baking dish in the oven, and bake for 45 minutes.
EIGHTH STEP: While the bread pudding is baking, in a medium-sized saucepan, combine the light brown sugar, heavy cream, and butter. Heat over medium heat.
NINTH STEP: Whisking intermittently, cook for 5-6 minutes.
TENTH STEP: Remove the caramel sauce from the heat, and whisk in the ½ teaspoon of vanilla.
ELEVENTH STEP: Pour the caramel sauce over the bread pudding, immediately after removing the pudding from the oven. Serve while warm.
This recipe is normally served hot, but can be served cold if you prefer.
Stale bread is best for this recipe since it soaks up the liquid so much better than fresh bread. Any type of stale bread can be used, though French, Italian, brioche, or Challah bread adds good flavor.
Sprinkle toasted coconut or slivered almonds as a garnish. Vanilla ice cream also pairs well!
Storing this Recipe
IN THE FRIDGE: Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
IN THE FREEZER: Bread pudding will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer.
- 4 cup French or Italian bread , stale is best
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp butter , melted
- ½ cup light brown sugar , tightly packed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a 9 x 13 dish by spraying with nonstick spray
- Spread the cubed bread evenly in the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, both sugars, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes. Allow this to sit for about 10 minutes.
- After the bread mixture has set for 10 minutes, drizzle the 4 tablespoons of melted butter on top of the soaked bread cubes.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- While the bread pudding is baking, in a medium sized saucepan, combine the light brown sugar, heavy cream, and butter to make your caramel sauce. Heat this mixture over medium heat.
- Whisking intermittently, cook the carmel mixture for 5 to 6 minutes .
- Remove the caramel sauce from the heat and whisk in the ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the bread pudding, immediately after removing the pudding from the oven. Serve while warm.