This Easy Beef Stroganoff with Rice and Cheese is the perfect family meal!
Growing up, I loved beef stroganoff.
Like, loved. With capital letters and little hearts drawn around it.
It's one of those meals, that even as an adult, brings me comfort and makes me think of warm and fuzzy childhood memories.
Have a hard day at work? Eat some beef stroganoff.
Don't feel well? Eat some beef stroganoff.
Argue with a friend? Eat some beef stroganoff.
You get the idea.
I'm excited to partner with Horizon Organic to bring you this yummy recipe!
So imagine my complete horror at discovering that my husband didn't share the same feelings about beef stroganoff.
Before Joe, beef stroganoff made regular appearances on my meal planning menu. And by regular, I mean it showed up at least once a week to dinner. Told you: hardcore love.
Before you judge Joe, let me tell you that he has lots of other redeeming qualities.
Anyways, back to beef stroganoff. I was caught between a rock and a hard place. The hubby doesn't like one of my all time most favortiest meals ever. What's a girl to do?!
I decided the only reasonable solution was to head to the kitchen and get with experimenting. Surely I could create a recipe that we could both love that would still hold true to the class beef stroganoff I had grown up on.
After several attempts, I'm happy to say that I did indeed create a homemade spin on this classic recipe that my entire family loves -- even Joe.
Ingredients for Beef Stroganoff
One of the reasons that I absolutely love making this recipe for my family is that it's so easy to put together with the ingredients you already have.
Something special about this version is that it has rice and cheese instead of noodles. Because everything is more amazing when served with melted, ooey gooey cheese.
I especially love using Horizon Organic cheese in this recipe. They offer the highest quality products and it shows in the superior flavor!
If you want another family favorite, check out this Pizza Spaghetti Casserole!
So back to our reinvented beef stroganoff.
You'll need hamburger, white rice, mushroom soup, butter, an onion, celery, milk, sour cream, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, mushrooms and shredded Monterrey Jack or Colby Horizon Organic cheese.
See? I bet you have all that in your kitchen right now. Boom -- here's dinner! 😉
How to Make Beef Stroganoff
It's super easy to bring this meal together. Perfect for those busy nights where you're juggling sports and homework and lessons.
First, make the rice according to the package directions.
You'll want to preheat your oven to 400° as well.
Chop your onion, celery and mushrooms and put them into a large saute pan with the butter and minced garlic. You'll cook over medium heat and saute until the celery is soft. Once that happens, remove the ingredients from the pan and set aside in a separate dish.
Add your hamburger to the saute pan and cook until it's no longer pink. Remove the grease from the pan and continue to cook until the hamburger is browned. Add the remaining garlic and Worcestershire sauce and stir well.
Turn the heat down to medium low and add the cream of mushroom soup, milk and sour cream before stirring well. Add some salt and pepper and keep stirring.
Next, add the veggie mixture to the sauce mixture and let simmer for about five minutes.
Lightly butter the inside of an 11x7 casserole dish.
Place the cooked rice on the bottom of the dish and sprinkle half of your Horizon Organic shredded cheese down.
Then add the meat and veggie mixture on top of the rice and cheese.
Top with the remaining cheese.
Place inside your pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes or until the casserole is starting to bubble in the center. Turn on your broiler and cook for about two minutes so that the cheese gets good and bubbly.
What to Eat with Beef Stroganoff
One thing I love about this recipe is that it's such a simple one dish meal. I typically serve it with a simple side salad and bread.
It's hearty enough that you could serve it on it's own even.
And it's perfect even for nights when you have guests because the flavor is so rich and phenomenal. Everyone will rave about it.
And just think -- you get to enjoy this spin on beef stroganoff all thanks to Joe. 😉
Easy Beef Stroganoff with Rice and Cheese
- 2 cups white rice
- ¾ pound hamburger
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tablespoon Horizon Organic Butter
- ½ large yellow onion
- ½ stick celery
- ½ cup Horizon Organic Milk
- ½ cup Horizon Organic Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon minced garlic, divided
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ cups mushrooms
- 2 cups Horizon Organic Monterey Jack Shredded Cheese
- Make white rice according to package directions. Chop your onion, celery & mushrooms and put into a large saute pan with butter and 1 teaspoon minced garlic. Cook over medium heat and saute until celery is soft. Remove ingredients from the pan and set aside in a separate dish.Add your hamburger to the saute pan and cook until no longer pink. Remove grease/drippings from the pan and continue to cook until hamburger is browned. Add the remaining garlic and Worcestershire sauce and stir well.Turn your heat down to medium low and add the cream of mushroom soup, milk and sour cream and stir. Add the salt, pepper and mushroom mixture to sauce mixture and let simmer about 5 minutes.Lightly butter the inside of an 11×7 casserole dish. Place your cooked rice on the bottom of the dish and sprinkle ½ of shredded cheese.Next add your sauce mixture on top or rice and cheese. Top sauce mixture with remaining cheese and place in a 400° oven for 15 minutes, or until casserole is starting to bubble in the center.Turn on your broiler and cook for about 2 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly on the top of the casserole.