I’m such a “big” breakfast kind of girl! Take me to a little diner that serves up big delicious plates of your favorite breakfast foods and that puts a smile on my face. When I get done my waist is not so happy but my belly sure is! I don’t mind eating breakfast for dinner, lunch or anytime of the day really. You really can’t go wrong if you ask me. There are just so many ways to make breakfast. You can put it in a burrito and top it with salsa, or maybe you want sweet so you cover it in syrup? You want both? That’s alright with me too!
I’ve seriously had this Easy Cheesy Sausage Potato Breakfast Casserole on my list of recipes to make for about a year now. I’ve seen the same (or super similar) recipe in a few places and just kind of took my favorite parts from a few different blogs and make it the way I knew my husband would like! I kept this recipe simple because the baby was going to be eating it too. If it were up to me I would have thrown some Rotel tomatoes or some kind of spices in to give it a bit of heat. Oooh, avocado chunks on the top would have been good too! Next time maybe I can do a half & half casserole. One side can be baby friendly and the other side can set your mouth on fire (or maybe just set off an alarm or two).
This would be a good breakfast if you were trying to feed a crowd… like a church gathering, family function or when your kids have a sleepover and you’re feeding your family + a few extra kids. It’s cheap so it saves you a little bit of money and it goes a long way and it’s filling too. Don’t know about you but we try to save money when we can and every little bit counts!
- 1 pound of sausage (mild, all-natural, hot and spicy or chorizo would work)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 20-oz bad of frozen potato cubes, thawed
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives
- *optional: 1/3 cup sour cream
- Pre-heat your oven to 375° degrees.
- Thaw your frozen potato cubes (we used the defrost function on our microwave) and add them to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a large skillet add your butter, onion, garlic and cook over medium heat until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add to your bowl of potatoes.
- Add your sausage to the hot skillet and cook (crumble it as you go) until it’s browned. Drain any grease and then add sausage to your bowl of potatoes.
- In a small mixing bowl combine your salt, black pepper, eggs, and milk. Stir together. Pour your egg mixture into your bowl of potatoes. Add your chives and sour cream and stir well.
- Top your casserole with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and a few additional chives.
- Place in a 9 x 13 casserole dish and bake for about 20 minutes with the top covered with foil. Revmove the foil and continue to bake for about 15-20 more minutes and then check to see if your eggs are set in the middle of the casserole. Depending on the depth of your casserole dish you may need to cook it a bit longer (especially if your potatoes are frozen, it will take well over 60 minutes to cook).
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE: WE’D LOVE TO HEAR HOW YOU LIKED IT IN THE COMMENTS BELOW. WE SEARCH SOCIAL MEDIA A FEW TIMES A MONTH FOR THE HASHTAG #THEBESTBLOGRECIPES SO MAKE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND USE THE HASHTAG WHEN LOADING IT ONTO YOUR INSTAGRAM, FB, G+, PINTEREST AND TWITTER AND WE’LL STOP BY AND SAY HI AND CHECK IT OUT!