Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
Homemade soup is one of my all-time favorite things to eat. There are so many different soups to try, with a rainbow of ingredients and recipes to delve into. Broth based soup, spicy soup, vegetable soup, meat soup, creamy oh so good soup! The possibilities are endless! Plus during the holidays, I’m usually enjoying my meals with loved ones… and a well-made soup tops my list of delicious things to serve. The great thing about most soups is they freeze well… so you can make a big batch for those coming over and save half of it for a quick dinner when you don’t have much time to prepare something else. That has saved us so many times from having to go out and get fast food. We store our homemade soup in large freezer bags and they keep for about 2-3 months in the back of your freezer, which is perfect! For this recipe, I decided to make Loaded Cheesy Broccoli Potato Soup and boy was it good! The last time I was at the grocery store I noticed that Swanson has a new Cream Starter (in the broth section) and decided to pick up a few of them to use as my base. I love it because you can keep them in the pantry and have them ready to use when you want to whip up a batch of soup, a creamy pasta sauce or a yummy casserole dish. My biggest problem is I’m always out of milk and never have any cream in the house so I stocked up on these easy cream starters! EASY TIP OF THE DAY: Instead of baking the potatoes in the oven (which really does take forever) I opt to microwave them until they are soft enough that I can easily break them up with a potato masher. I usually start the microwave out at 10 minutes and then poke them with a fork and put them back in for an additional 4-6 minutes depending on how many potatoes I’ve used and how big they are. I do the same thing with my broccoli. I buy frozen so that it keeps longer and doesn’t go bad and just put it in a bowl with a little bit of water and cover it with plastic wrap and steam it for about 7 minutes.
Loaded Cheesy Broccoli Potato Soup
- 8-10 medium russet potatoes
- 1 box Swanson Cream Starter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups broccoli
- 2 cups shredded Colby jack cheese
- 8 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of milk
- Wash and poke your potatoes with a fork. Put in a microwave bowl and cook for 10 minutes. Poke with a fork to test how much longer you need to cook them. Put your potatoes back in the microwave and cook for an additional 4-6 minutes or until soft and done. Remove to a plate and chop into smaller and easier to work with pieces.
- You can either boil your broccoli or steam it in the microwave (with a little bit of water, covered with plastic wrap for 7-8 minutes). Remove to a plate and chop into smaller and easier to work with pieces.
- In a large pot add your butter, onions, celery seed, salt, ground black pepper and garlic powder and cook over medium heat until the onions are soft.
- Add your cooked potatoes, broccoli, Swanson Cream Starter and 1 cup of milk to your onion mixture and stir well. Use a potato masher to break up most of the large chunks of potatoes (I usually leave a few of the chunks for texture).
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add your cheese and sour cream and stir well. Let sit for an additional 5 minutes. Salt & pepper to taste once everything is mixed in.
- Serve in fun bread bowls and top with crumbled bacon and green onions.
This blog post is sponsored by Swanson®.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
We won't sell or give away your information to anyone, for any reason. Unsubscribe at any time.