Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
I have a “food bucket list” with so many recipes on it! I see things every single day that I want to make but there just aren’t enough hours (or meals) in the day to try them all! Besides, if I tried them all I’d probably be so huge I couldn’t fit through the kitchen door anymore because most of them involve dessert. This Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki recipe isn’t dessert but it has been on my list of things to make for as long as I can remember.
Before I became a food blogger our family would have chicken teriyaki once a month with store bought teriyaki sauce. I had never tried to make it from scratch and now I feel kind of silly because this recipe was so easy and I had every single one of the ingredients that I needed in my kitchen already so I just grabbed them and threw them in the slow cooker with my chicken.
For those of you who don’t know… I’m a sauce lover! I really couldn’t wait to try this recipe from Gimme Some Oven was because the sauce looked like a thicker glaze and it looked absolutely delicious. Sometimes teriyaki sauce can get a little runny and I definitely didn’t want that. I hate when it all runs to the bottom of the plate and you have a huge pool of it when you’re done eating. Or even worse is when you tip your plate and it runs off the side onto your lap. Not fun and since I eat usually while I’m sitting with my kids I’m often moving my plate around so they don’t grab at it and pull it on the floor. That plus runny liquid on my plate just doesn’t mix!
Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 6 turns on a fresh pepper grinder or about 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Add your honey, low sodium soy sauce, minced garlic, yellow onion, red wine vinegar, ground ginger and ground black pepper to your crock pot and whisk together.
- Add your chicken and turn over to coat both sides of it with sauce. Spoon some of the onion mixture over the top and cover with your lid.
- Cook on low for about 3-5 hours (ours was done in 3.5 so be sure to check it earlier rather than later).
- When the chicken is tender and easily falls apart remove it from your slow cooker and shred it with a fork and set aside.
- Transfer the remaining liquid in the slow cooker to a medium sauce pan and turn the burner to medium heat. Strain out the onion and garlic chunks so you're sauce will be smooth.
- In a separate container whisk together your cornstarch and water. Once your teriyaki sauce starts to boil slowly pour your cornstarch mixture in while whisking it. Let it return to a boil and then turn it down to low and allow it to simmer for 2-4 minutes so it can thicken up.
- Pour half your sauce over your chicken and toss. Save the remaining sauce so that you can drizzle it over the top of your chicken and rice once you have dished up.
- Top with Toasted Sesame Seeds and serve with white or fried rice and enjoy!
WATCH THIS RECIPE VIDEO
Here are a few other recipes you might enjoy today: