Last updated on
Table of Contents
There’s a pin on Pinterest that I came across for something called a Logan County Hamburger. Ok… I don’t know where Logan County is or why their hamburgers are considered special but I thought I’d do a little research and get to the bottom of this yummy looking grilled cheese sandwich.
I was actually kind of surprised when I found out that Billy Joel’s (yes, the Piano Man) wife Katie Lee had her own recipe/homemaking website. How fun is that!
So I couldn’t help myself. I had to make my first Logan County Ham0burger for myself to see if I liked it, which I pretty much already knew I would.
Logan County Hamburgers (aka: Hamburger Grilled Cheese)
- 1.25 pounds of ground beef 85% lean & organic is the best option
- 1 large egg lighlty beaten
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 slices of white bread
- unsalted butter
- American Cheese or Velveeta We used Velveeta so it was nice and melty
- In a large mixing bowl combine your egg, minced garlic, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and hamburger. Form into thin patties.
- Cook on the grill, george forman indoor grill, or in a NuWave Oven until the hamburger is done and place on paper towels to drain the grease. Set aside.
- Add your chopped onion to a medium skillet along with 1 tablespoon of butter and cook until the onion is translucent and tender.
- Butter both sides of your bread and place them in a skillet and cook one side until it turns a nice golden brown. Flip the bread over and immediately place your cheese slices on it along with the cooked onion. Once the remaining sides of bread are golden and the cheese has melted add your hamburger and assemble your sandwich.
- If your cheese hasn't completely melted you can place your bread pieces on a baking sheet under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to completely melt your cheese if needed.
A few other recipes you might enjoy today: