This Mexican Taco Casserole with Chipotle Ranch Dressing is easy to make and delicious! It's the perfect dinner recipe if you need to feed your family a yummy and delicious dinner in a hurry!
I don't know about you but I could eat Mexican food every single day. It's my favorite food! Well, except for chocolate. But that's not really a "food" so that doesn't really count. Yep, my hubby and I crave delicious spicy, bean-y, cheesy, beefy goodness a few times a week (ok it might be more than that but who's counting?). We have our favorite recipes but sometimes we need a really quick and easy dinner to fix because we have 2 small boys running around the house and don't have a ton of time to always fix something big and elaborate.
Yesterday was one of those days. Both of our boys (ages 2 and 9 mo) are sick and not feeling well. What I'm really trying to say is that they are whiny, tired, want to be held 24/7 and want what they want right now and they definitely don't want either of us in the kitchen cooking. That's why I made this easy Mexican Taco Casserole with Chipotle Ranch Dressing. All of the ingredients are things that I usually have on hand and are put together in a delicious casserole that didn't take too much time at all to make.
While I was making this I kept getting pulled away and at one point turned off my burners because I knew I'd be a few minutes and didn't want anything to burn while I was tending to my screaming children. Please tell me I'm not the only one who has to do this. Without fail when I go into the kitchen to cook everyone needs mama right now! I guess it's good to be needed, right?!?
When it was all said and done we were were able to sit down for all of two seconds and eat before they needed to be picked up. We literally inhaled this casserole between the two of us. It really was so good and we'll definitely be making this again very soon!
Mexican Taco Casserole with Chipotle Ranch Dressing
- CASSEROLE INGREDIENTS
- this recipe makes a 9x9 casserole dish... double the ingredients if you want to make a 9x13
- ½ lb ground beef
- ½ cup Rotel tomatoes divided
- 1 can of re-fried beans
- ½ teaspoon Mexican Chipotle Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ medium yellow onion chopped
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 3-4 green onions chopped
- ¼ cup black olives sliced
- 1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 large flour tortillas chopped into bite sized pieces
- CHIPOTLE RANCH DRESSING INGREDIENTS
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup ranch dressing
- ¼ teaspoon Mexican Chipotle Chili Powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛-1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 400° degrees. Spray the inside of a 9x9 pan (or 9x13 if doubling up the recipe).
- In a large skillet cook your ground beef until it is browned. Remove to a plate and set aside. Drain the grease and then add your onion to the skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes or until soft. Turn off your heat and add your beef to your onion mixture. Add your garlic powder, onion powder, Mexican Chipotle Chili powder and ¼ cup of your Rotel Tomatoes to the beef and onion mixture and stir well.
- In a separate medium pan add your re-fried beans and ⅓ cup of sour cream. Stir well and cook over medium heat until heated all the way through.
- Start layering your ingredients in your 9x9 casserole dish: ½ of your beans, followed by ½ of your meat mixture, followed by ½ of your tortillas and ½ of your cheese. Repeat these layers. Top the casserole with your olives, green onions and the remainder of your Rotel tomatoes.
- Bake in the 400° oven for about 10-15 minutes or until your cheese is melted and it's bubbling a little bit.
- CHIPOTLE RANCH DRESSING INSTRUCTIONS
- Mix your sour cream, ranch, Mexican Chipotle Chili powder, garlic powder and salt together. Drizzle over the entire casserole or over the individually served pieces.