This Creamy Cheesy Chicken and Green Bean Casserole is a family favorite and we make it every year during the holidays! It's the perfect dinner if you're trying to feed a crowd!
Green bean casseroles always seem to be a fan favorite, but this puts a fresh spin on a classic dish by adding cheese and chicken to give it an even more delicious flavor than before!
The holidays are right around the corner and it's time for me to start thinking about what I want to take to our big family feast.
My husband comes from a family of eight siblings and they have a huge holiday dinner gathering each year. It's crazy and overwhelming but really fun! I'm an only child so it's amazes to see everyone with all of their kids in the same room. For the first few years of our marriage, I never knew what dish to take since it was kind of like a potluck dinner.
At about year three, I figured out that a casserole would be a good idea. The hard part was making it fit with the holiday theme so it didn't seem out of place. That's why I decided to make a Creamy Cheesy Chicken and Green Bean Casserole. I could set it on the table and it just looked like it belonged there!
What I love about this casserole is that it's not hard to prepare and the flavor is amazing! It's a great weeknight dinner option and it's also a sneaky way to get your kids to eat more vegetables!
Creamy Cheesy Chicken and Green Bean Casserole
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded or chopped
- 10-12 oz. crimini mushrooms
- 2 celery stalks chopped into small pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons better than bouillon chicken flavor
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup crispy onions for the topping
- 4-5 cups long frozen green beans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cook green beans per package directions. Drain water and set aside.
- In a large skillet add your butter, celery, onion, mushrooms and chicken better that bouillon. Cook until onions and celery and soft.
- In a large bowl combine your heavy cream, spices and mayonnaise and whisk together. Add your onion mixture, chicken, green beans, ½ of your cheese and stir well.
- Pour into a 9x13 casserole dish. Spread out your mixture evenly. Sprinkle the other half of your shredded cheddar cheese and place in a pre-heated 400° oven. Cook for 18-20 minutes or until the casserole is bubbling in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle your Crispy Onions over the top.
- Serve and enjoy!