Last updated on
Table of Contents
Texas Style Lasagna is a dish you’ll be making repeatedly for family dinners, potlucks, parties…the list goes on and on.
This is a filling recipe stacked with cheese, beef, and tortilla. It’s a solid meal!
But don’t worry, this homemade dish is as delicious as it is healthy. It is so packed with the tomatoes, avocadoes, and beans you (or your kids) won’t even know you’re eating a ton of vegetables.
WHAT IS TEXAS STYLE LASAGNA
Texas Style Lasagna is simply a Tex-Mex style casserole with all the ingredients of a traditional lasagna replaced with ingredients like tortillas, beans, and taco-seasoned ground meat.
It keeps the cheesy, baked goodness of lasagna with an added twist of Mexican inspired flavors.
TEXAS STYLE LASAGNA INGREDIENTS
This delicious baked Mexican lasagna dish recipe would need all of these yummy ingredients:
- ground beef
- seasoned salt
- taco seasoning
- petite diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- chopped green chilies
- cottage cheese
- eggs, lightly beaten
- small corn tortillas, torn
Here are a few toppings I personally suggest that you should prepare as well. They’re must-haves to go with my Mexican Lasagna nights:
- 3 ½ – 4 cups of shredded Cheddar & Monterey Jack Cheese
- 2-3 cups of tortilla chips broken into med/large pieces
- Salsa of your choice
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 3 avocados, cut into chunks
You can certainly switch out the ground beef for any other meats like chicken, turkey, pulled pork or chorizo.
I also add in extra creaminess sometimes with some cream cheese between a layer or just replace the cottage cheese with cream cheese altogether.
If you need a meatless vegan/vegetarian option, simply switch out the meat with black beans or with refried beans.
HOW TO MAKE MEXICAN LASAGNA
Take out your baking dish, we’re ready to start making some Tex-Mex magic.
In a large skillet, brown the ground meat and drain the extra fat.
Return meat to skillet and add the seasoned salt, taco seasoning, diced tomatoes with sauce, tomato sauce, and chopped green chilies.
Lower the heat and let it simmer uncovered for about 15 to 20 minutes.
Mix the lightly beaten eggs and the cottage cheese in a small bowl.
Grease an 11 by 7 baking dish, and begin layering half of the meat sauce, half of the tortillas, half of the cottage cheese and egg mixture, and half of the shredded cheese. Repeat the layers.
Now you’re ready for baking!
HOW TO BAKE MEXICAN LASAGNA
Baking is possibly the easiest step for this particular recipe.
While putting your lasagna together, preheat the oven to 350°.
Once you’ve finished layering it, bake the dish uncovered for 30 minutes or until the cheese on top becomes hot and bubbly.
Take the dish out of the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy!
If you can bake it, you can slow cook it. There are not many changes to this recipe even with a switch in the cooking method.
All you have to do is layer your dish in the crockpot instead of in a baking dish.
Once layered, start the slow cooker on low for 4 to 6 hours. Who’s hungry?
Texas Style Lasagna
- 1 1/2 pounds organic ground beef
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 can 14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1 can 4 oz chopped green chilies
- 2 cups 16 oz 4% cottage cheese
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 12 small corn tortillas torn
- 3 ½ – 4 cups shredded Cheddar & Monterey Jack Cheese
- 2-3 cups tortilla chips broken into med/large pieces
- Salsa of your choice
- 3 to matoes diced
- 3 avocados cut into chunks
- In a large skillet brown meat and drain excess fat. Return meat to skillet and add the seasoned salt, taco seasoning, diced tomatoes with sauce, tomato sauce, and chopped green chilies. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine lightly beaten eggs and cottage cheese.
- In a greased 11×7 baking dish layer half of the meat sauce, half of the tortillas, half of the cottage cheese and egg mixture, and half of the shredded cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake uncovered at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before adding tortilla chips, avocado chunks, diced tomato, and salsa.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!