A friend gave me this recipe for a Texas Style Lasagna. I wasn’t sure that my family would like it and it turns out that they not only loved it but they have been asking for it ever since. By the way… do you know how hard it is to save the last piece of a very yummy casserole for pictures when you family thinks what you just made was really delicious? Yeah, not so easy in this house! Let’s just say that this recipe was very well liked and my family was only about 1/2 way done with their plates when they asked me to make this casserole again for them soon!
Texas Style Lasagna
Recipe Type: Casserole
This Texas Style Lasagna is made with corn tortillas and it’s sure to become a family favorite if you try it!
- 1 1/2 pounds organic ground beef
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
- 2 cups (16 oz) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 small corn tortillas, torn
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups shredded Cheddar & Monterey Jack Cheese
- 2-3 cups tortilla chips broken into med/large pieces
- Salsa of your choice
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 3 avocados cut into chunks
- In a large skillet brown meat and drain excess fat. Return meat to skillet and add the seasoned salt, taco seasoning, diced tomatoes with sauce, tomato sauce, and chopped green chilies. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine lightly beaten eggs and cottage cheese.
- In a greased 11×7 baking dish layer half of the meat sauce, half of the tortillas, half of the cottage cheese and egg mixture, and half of the shredded cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake uncovered at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before adding tortilla chips, avocado chunks, diced tomato, and salsa.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!