Table of Contents
Creamy and cheesy, this ultimate chicken casserole is loaded with flavor. Made with shredded chicken, tender noodles, bacon, and corn, this easy dinner recipe is one you do not want to pass up.
Ultimate Chicken Casserole
Simple, tasty, and family-friendly, this ultimate chicken casserole is a foolproof addition to your weeknight dinner menu. Brimming with flavor, this no-fuss casserole is easy to make using simple ingredients.
Perfect for those nights when you want something quick and delicious to throw together, comforting chicken casserole can easily feed a crowd at your next potluck or get-together. A comforting, one-pot meal, it’s sure to please even the pickiest eater.
A hearty meal with chicken, noodles, corn, and bacon, all in a creamy, cheesy sauce, you could serve your casserole straight from the baking dish. If you prefer you can serve your chicken casserole with a side of dinner rolls or a fresh garden salad.
Ultimate Chicken Casserole Ingredients
- Cream of chicken soup
- Chicken – cooked, shredded chicken breast
- Wide egg noodles – cooked
- Corn – frozen corn
- Cheese – shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Onion – sweet yellow onion
- Bacon – cooked, crumbled bacon
- Salt – kosher salt
- Pepper – cracked black pepper
- French fried onions
Egg noodles are the perfect consistency for this recipe, but you can substitute any shaped, cooked pasta for the egg noodles. Short pasta in particular, such as bow tie noodles would be a good alternative.
Chicken casserole is a great recipe for using leftover prepared chicken, but you could also use shredded rotisserie chicken for the shredded chicken breast. Leftover turkey would be another delicious option in place of the chicken.
Crispy deep-fried onions, called French fried onions, are often used as a garnish for this recipe, but they can also be used in place of the finely diced sweet yellow onion. If you can’t find French fried onions, bread crumbs or seasoned crackers could be used instead of the fried onion topping.
How to Make Ultimate Chicken Casserole
FIRST STEP: Preheat the oven to 350*. Generously spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set it aside.
SECOND STEP: Using a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cream of chicken soup and the half-and-half until smooth.
THIRD STEP: Add in the shredded chicken, egg noodles, corn, shredded cheese, onion, bacon, kosher salt, and cracked pepper. Stir until well combined.
FOURTH STEP: Pour the casserole into the prepared baking dish.
FIFTH STEP: Evenly sprinkle the french fried onions over the casserole.
SIXTH STEP: Bake for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Can I make the ultimate chicken casserole ahead of time?
You can mix all of the casserole ingredients the night before. Store covered in the refrigerator, and do not add the french fried onions until right before baking.
Can I use a different type of noodle?
Egg noodles are the perfect consistency for this casserole recipe, but you can substitute any shaped, cooked pasta for the egg noodles. Bow tie noodles in particular would be a good alternative.
Can I use rotisserie chicken?
You can substitute shredded rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken for the shredded chicken breast.
How to Store Ultimate Chicken Casserole
IN THE FRIDGE: Store leftover chicken casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
IN THE FREEZER: Cover un-topped and unbaked casserole and freeze for up to 2 months. Allow the casserole to thaw, top with the french fried onions, and bake according to the instructions.
Ultimate Chicken Casserole
- 1-26 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1½ cups half-and-half
- 2½ cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
- 2 cups cooked wide egg noodles
- 1½ cups frozen corn
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- ½ cup finely diced sweet yellow onion
- 6 strips cooked, crumbled bacon
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 cups French fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 350*. Generously spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set it aside.
- Using a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cream of chicken soup and the half-and-half until smooth.
- Add in the shredded chicken, egg noodles, corn, shredded cheese, onion, bacon, kosher salt, and cracked pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the casserole into the prepared baking dish.
- Evenly sprinkle the French fried onions over the casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.