This Chicken Taco Chili is hearty and filling — the ultimate delicious comfort food!
Once upon a time, I was very, very pregnant.
Oh, I was so hungry.
Growing a baby was really hard work.
I needed all.the.food to make it happen.
As you may know, I love being in the kitchen. I love experimenting with recipes and trying new things.
Being pregnant was no exception — I made all sorts of recipes while expecting.
However, I will admit that only some recipes were tempting to me. 😉
I’m proud to partner with Horizon Organic to bring you this yummy recipe idea!
The day I stumbled across this inspiration, all I knew was that I wanted both chicken and black beans.
At first, it seemed like a little odd mix to me… but hang with me. It turns out amazing.
It was a craving that turned out to be an absolute magical combination. So hearty and filling and the flavors are incredible.
Really, can anything go wrong with “taco” involved? I think not.
It’s become a favorite in our family that we make again and again.
Ingredients for Chicken Taco Chili
Not only am I crazy about the flavors with this recipe, I love that it’s made with staples from my pantry. It comes together in an hour on the stove, so it’s great for a busy evening or when guests stop over.
You could also make it in the slow cooker if you want to start it earlier in the day.
So — head to your cupboard and start grabbing your chicken taco chili ingredients!
You’ll need a chopped onion, black beans, kidney beans, tomato sauce, frozen corn, taco seasoning, chicken stock, minced garlic, avocado, cilantro and Mexican stewed tomatoes.
From your spice rack, grab cumin, chipotle chili powder, garlic powder plus salt and pepper.
From the fridge, you’ll need chicken breasts, Horizon Organic Butter, Horizon Organic Cheddar Cheese and Horizon Organic Sour Cream.
I can’t say enough good things about Horizon Organic products. They make every recipe that much better with their incredible quality.
You can tell that they take great pride in the products they create. Their commitment to making the best means your recipes will turn out the very best.
How to Make Chicken Taco Chili
To start, sprinkle your chicken with a little salt and pepper and then pop it in the oven at 350° for 15 minutes or until it’s almost cooked all the way through.
Remove from the oven and chop into bite sized pieces.
In a large pot cook your onions, minced garlic and Horizon Organic Butter over medium heat for about five minutes or until they’re soft and tender.
Then, add your chicken, black beans, kidney beans, tomato sauce, frozen corn, taco seasoning, Mexican stewed tomatoes, cumin, chipotle chili powder, garlic powder, chicken stock and cilantro.
Bring mixture to a boil.
Cover and reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for about an hour (or two if you have the time) so that the flavors have a chance to blend together.
Note: you might want to add additional chicken stock if your chili gets too thick.
Finally, add your chopped avocado, Horizon Organic Shredded Cheddar Cheese and sour cream to the top.
What to Serve with Chicken Taco Chili
I serve my chicken taco chili over rice. But not just any rice!
I make my rice according to the package directions however I substitute the water for chicken stock and I add a tablespoon of butter as well!
I’m confident your family will love this chicken taco chili just as much as we do — try it soon and don’t forget the Horizon Organic products to make it shine!
Chicken Taco Chili
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 can of kidney beans drained & rinsed
- 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 2 cups of frozen corn
- 1 packet of your favorite taco seasoning
- 1 14.5 oz can of mexican stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 - 1/2 chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons freeze dried cilantro we use freeze dried because the fresh goes bad quicker than we can use it up or 1 bunch of fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- cheddar cheese shredded
- avocado chopped
- sour cream
- salt & pepper
- Sprinkle your chicken with a little bit of salt and pepper and cook in the oven at 350° for 15 minutes or until it's almost cooked all the way through. (I have issues with putting a 100% raw chicken breast in my pot with all my other ingredients, yes I'm that weird so I cook mine pretty much all the way through first -- unless I'm using my slow cooker but this meal is prepared faster). Remove from the oven and chop into bite sized pieces.
- In a large skillet cook your onions, minced garlic & butter over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until soft and tender.
- In a large pot combine your chicken, onions & garlic mixture, black beans, kidney beans, tomato sauce, frozen corn, taco seasoning, mexican stewed tomatoes, cumin, chipotle chili powder, garlic powder, chicken stock and cilantro. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to med-low and let simmer for about an hour (or two if you have the time) so that the flavors have a chance to blend together. You might want to add additional chicken stock if your chili gets too thick. (visit the link in the post above for the crock pot recipe directions)
- Add chopped avocado, shredded cheese and sour cream to the top! Serve and enjoy!
- This one is easy.... cook your rice as per package directions but substitute the water for chicken stock and add a little bit of butter.