Last updated on
Table of Contents
Light and fluffy, Cool Whip frosting is incredibly simple to make, and it goes perfectly with nearly any cake or cupcake. Made with just 4 ingredients, this creamy frosting is a great alternative to standard buttercream.
With a yummy vanilla flavor, this easy frosting is sweet, airy, and creamy. One of the best things ever, this easy-to-make frosting is the perfect way to finish a cake or cupcakes.
Every bit as creamy and delicious as traditional frosting, this recipe takes less time to make and makes frosting cakes or cupcakes almost effortless. It’s also a great way to use up any extra Cool Whip you have on hand!
Cool Whip frosting is an easy way to make delicious, homemade frosting from scratch. This lip-smacking good frosting is a great option for all your birthday cakes, cupcakes, or everyday cakes.
Ingredients for Cool Whip Frosting
- Instant pudding: 1 (3.4-ounce) box of instant pudding (whatever flavor frosting you need)
- Sugar: 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- Milk: ¾ cup of cold whole milk
- Cool Whip Whipped Topping: 1 (8-ounce) tub, thawed
Cool Whip frosting adds a delightful touch to desserts. Its fluffy texture dissolves in your mouth, offering a creamy sweetness that caters to sugar cravings.
Be it for dressing a cake or just savoring spoonful's, the luxurious flavor of Cool Whip frosting is sure to impress.
Cool Whip Frosting Variations
These easy substitutions and additions can easily be swapped out while still maintaining the deliciousness of this cheeseburger soup recipe!
- Pudding: Any flavor of instant pudding can be incorporated into this easy to make frosting.
- Color: Incorporate a few drops of food coloring to give your frosting a range of vibrant shades, tailored to the color scheme of your cake or cupcakes.
- Cool Whip: You can replace the regular Cool Whip with the sugar-free variant, and the frosting will still taste delightful.
- Flavor Tip: Consider adding a hint of vanilla extract to enhance the vanilla taste in this recipe.
How to make Cool Whip Frosting
FIRST STEP: Using a medium-sized mixing bowl and a handheld mixer on low speed, add the cold milk and powdered sugar. Beat for 30 seconds to combine.
SECOND STEP: Sprinkle in the instant pudding mix and beat for 1 to 1½ minutes, until thickened. Set it aside for 3 minutes.
THIRD STEP: Fold in the thawed whipped topping until thoroughly combined. Tightly cover, or transfer to an airtight container until ready to use.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I transform this recipe into tinted icing?
With just a few drops of food coloring, you can modify this simple frosting recipe to your preferred color.
Do cakes with this Cool Whip icing need to be stored in the refrigerator?
Yes, cakes or cupcakes adorned with this Cool Whip and pudding frosting should be kept in the refrigerator.
Is it possible to keep the remaining frosting in the freezer?
This simple icing can be preserved in the freezer for up to a month. Before using, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator for roughly an hour.
How can I make Cool Whip frosting thicker?
To achieve a thicker consistency for your Cool Whip frosting, gradually incorporate more powdered sugar.
Is it suitable to use whipped cream icing for cake decoration as well as cupcakes?
This scrumptious icing is ideal for both cakes and cupcakes.
What's the purpose of adding pudding to the Cool Whip frosting?
Including pudding in the Cool Whip frosting aids in maintaining its structure, preventing it from becoming too liquid.
Cooking tips for the best frosting
Want a tasty homemade frosting that's easy to make? Here's your guide! Every spoonful promises creamy sweet goodness that pairs perfect with any cake. Follow these tips to make it perfect:
- Warm Kitchens: If your kitchen tends to be on the warmer side, consider placing the Cool Whip pudding frosting back in the fridge for intermittent chilling as you decorate your baked items.
- Humid Weather: In humid conditions, ensure that you sift the powdered sugar prior to use. This will prevent lumps in your frosting.
- Cool Whip: Remember to defrost the Cool Whip in advance to achieve the correct mixable consistency for this recipe.
- Use a Hand Mixer: Remember to get your hand mixer and beaters ready before starting this recipe. Use a spatula to scrape the bowl's sides while mixing, ensuring a smooth frosting that's easy to spread or pipe onto cakes and cupcakes.
- PRO TIP: Avoid overmixing the frosting to prevent the ingredients from separating.
Storing this Recipe
Storing Cool Whip Frosting: Store any leftover whipped cream frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Keep whatever you are decorating in the refrigerator, as well.
Can you Freeze Cool Whip Frosting? You can freeze leftover frosting for up to a month. Just make sure to thaw it in the fridge for about an hour before using it.
More Recipes You'll Love
Cool Whip Frosting
Love this recipe? Give it a 5 Star Rating
- 3.4 ounces instant pudding (whatever flavor frosting you need)
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ¾ cup cold whole milk
- 8 ounces whipped topping (thawed)
- Using a medium-sized mixing bowl and a handheld mixer on low speed, add the cold milk and powdered sugar. Beat for 30 seconds to combine.
- Sprinkle in the instant pudding mix and beat for 1 to 1½ minutes, until thickened. Set it aside for 3 minutes.
- Fold in the thawed whipped topping until thoroughly combined. Tightly cover, or transfer to an airtight container until ready to use.