Last updated on
Blueberry Angel Food Cake
Table of Contents
Light and luscious, and shockingly simple to make, this cake is the perfect finale for any meal. Both sweet and tart, you’ll get a dessert that tastes like angel food cake in one bite and blueberry pie filling in the next.
MORE RECIPES: No Bake Blueberry Cheesecake | Blueberry Hand Pies | Blueberry Danish | Blueberry Delight
A cake with no baking time? We all need a few recipes for no-bake desserts in our recipe boxes, and that includes this blueberry angel food cake. You can put together this simple dessert in 15 minutes and with just 6 ingredients.
Perfect for warm summer days, no-bake desserts are also year-round favorites. Skip turning on the oven and layer this fluffy dessert into a cake pan or trifle dish, chill, and serve.
You can’t go wrong with serving this blueberry angel food cake at the end of any meal. It also works great as a dessert to take to a potluck, BBQ, or any other get-together. Serve your dessert with an extra dollop of whipped cream on top or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.
Blueberry Angel Food Cake Ingredients
- Angel food cake
- Can blueberry pie filling
- Package vanilla pudding
- Sour cream
- Cool Whip
Purchasing an angel food cake from the store is one of the reasons this dessert is so quick and simple to put together. However, you can also bake your own angel food cake. If you are baking the cake yourself for this recipe, make sure to let it cool fully before you slice it and assemble the rest of your dessert. Otherwise, it can make the other ingredients too warm.
Don’t feel limited to just making this dessert with blueberry pie filling. Make it over and over again with a different pie filling each time. You could try strawberry, cherry, apple, or even lemon. You could also swap a lemon pudding in place of the vanilla pudding to create a lemon blueberry dessert.
Assembling the dessert in a 9”x9” pan makes for thinner layers and the easiest serving option. However, you can also put your dessert together in a pretty trifle dish. The trifle dish will certainly show off the fancy layers of this dessert and impress whoever gets to eat it.
How to Make Blueberry Angel Food Cake
FIRST STEP: Cut the cooled angel food cake into cubes about 1 inch in size.
SECOND STEP: Layer half of the cake pieces evenly in the bottom of a 9x9 cake pan (metal or glass).
THIRD STEP: Spread ⅔ of the blueberry pie filling evenly over the cake.
FOURTH STEP: Layer the last half of the cake cubes over the blueberry pie filling.
FIFTH STEP: In a medium bowl, stir together the pudding mix, milk, and sour cream until smooth (about 2 minutes). Spread evenly over the top of the cake.
SIXTH STEP: Spread the Cool Whip evenly over top of the pudding layer. Drop & spread the rest of the blueberry pie filling over the top.
SEVENTH STEP: Place in the fridge and let chill 4-5 hours before serving.
Use a serrated knife to cut the angel food cake for the best results. A serrated knife will cut the cake easier, and you won’t lose the airy, fluffy texture of the cake.
The dessert needs to chill for at least 4 to 5 hours, but overnight is even better so it can soak up all of the flavors.
Want more fruit with your dessert? You can easily double the fruit filling.
Swap out the angel food cake for pound cake, chocolate cake, or vanilla sponge cake for different flavors.
Storing this Recipe
IN THE FRIDGE: Store leftover dessert covered in plastic wrap or a sealed airtight container for 1 to 2 days.
IN THE FREEZER: We don’t recommend freezing this recipe.
Blueberry Angel Food Cake
- 1 angel food cake a pre-made cake or bake a boxed angel food cake mix and let it cool
- 21 ounces blueberry pie filling
- 1 package 4-serving instant vanilla pudding mix (102 grams, 3.6 ounces)
- 1 ½ cups milk 2%
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- Cut the cooled angel food cake into cubes about 1 inch in size.Pro Tip: If you are baking the cake yourself for this recipe, make sure to let it cool fully before cutting it so that it doesn’t make the other ingredients too warm.Pro Tip: The best knife to use when cutting angel food cake is one with a serrated blade, it will cut the cake easier, and you won’t lose the airy, fluffy texture of the cake.
- Layer half of the cake pieces evenly in the bottom of a 9x9 cake pan (metal or glass).Pro Tip: If you have a trifle bowl and are serving this at a potluck, the trifle bowl would show the fancy layers of this dessert even better.
- Spread ⅔ of the blueberry pie filling evenly over the cake.
- Layer the last half of the cake cubes over the blueberry pie filling.
- In a medium bowl stir together the pudding mix, milk, and sour cream until smooth (about 2 minutes). Spread evenly over the top of the cake.
- Spread the Cool Whip evenly over top of the pudding layer. Drop and spread the rest of the blueberry pie filling over the top.
- Place in the fridge and let chill 4 to 5 hours before serving.Pro Tip: This cake needs at least 4 to 5 hours in the fridge so it can soak up all of the flavors. Overnight is even better.
Wow gonna try this tonight
Robin Waters 😢 says
So far I've made this recipe once with strawberry filling and cheesecake flavor pudding and once with cherry and vanilla. I always have greek yogurt in the fridge so I used that instead of sour cream. Delicious! I can't eat it all within a couple of days so I divide it up into individual servings and freeze them. When i want a treat I'll let one set out for half an hour or so and eat it while it's still partially frozen. Delightful! Added bonus.... Using sugar free pudding and cake makes it pretty guilt free.
Lilia House says
I am interested in the banana bread brownies and other foods and deserts
Bob Tearman says
Love to get more Bar-B-cue recipes
The recipes are simple and so delicious looking I can't wait to get started!
Layne Henderson says
Hi, Pat - it's instant pudding. Enjoy!
Wonderful and easy recipe. Thank you.
Janet Benson says
Would it work with another fruit pie filling....not keen on blueberries....but this recipes does sound delicious.
Yes, you can substitute for another fruit pie filling