Last updated on
Table of Contents
Cozy and comforting, homemade tomato soup is loaded with flavor and perfect for pairing with a crispy grilled cheese sandwich. This classic family-friendly recipe results in a creamy, rich soup.
Insanely delicious, this easy tomato soup recipe is soon to be your new favorite weeknight meal. Irresistibly creamy, you’ll want to snuggle up with a bowl of this rich soup.
Made from canned tomatoes, homemade tomato soup is velvety smooth and uses simple pantry items that you probably already have on hand. Have this cold-weather favorite on the table in less than an hour.
Serve your soup as an appetizer, pair it with a crisp green salad, or top it with courting and parmesan cheese. Classic tomato soup is also ideal for dipping crusty bread, cheesy quesadilla, or a warm grilled cheese sandwich.
Homemade Tomato Soup Ingredients
- Olive oil - extra virgin olive oil
- Butter - salted sweet cream butter
- Onion - finely diced sweet yellow onion
- Garlic - fresh minced garlic
- Flour - all-purpose flour
- Tomato - tomato puree
- Broth - vegetable broth
- Tomato - tomato paste
- Sugar - granulated sugar
- Salt - kosher salt
- Basil - dried basil
- Pepper - fresh cracked black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Bay leaves
- Basil - thinly sliced basil, optional garnish
Sautéing the fresh garlic and onions enhances the richness and adds to the full flavor of this tomato soup recipe. If you don’t want to use fresh garlic you can also use minced garlic. Sweet onions work beautifully in this soup, but any variety works well.
If you prefer a chunky soup you serve it as is, or for a creamy texture, you can run the soup through a regular blender or an immersion blender. If you use a regular blender, be very careful to blend the soup in small batches.
For an extra creamy soup, add a little cream or milk to your soup. Adding a bit of sugar to the soup recipe helps to neutralize the acidity from the tomatoes. Increase the spice by adding an additional ¼ to ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes. You could also add a sprig of fresh thyme or other fresh herbs to the soup while it is simmering.
How to Make Homemade Tomato Soup
FIRST STEP: Using a 5-6 quart stockpot, over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and butter.
SECOND STEP: Add the finely diced onion and fresh minced garlic. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring often until the onion is translucent.
THIRD STEP: Whisk in the flour and continue to cook and stir for 2 minutes.
FOURTH STEP: Add the tomato puree, vegetable broth, and tomato paste. Stir to completely incorporate the tomato paste.
FIFTH STEP: Add the granulated sugar, kosher salt, dried basil, cracked pepper, red pepper flakes, and whole bay leaves. Stir occasionally until the soup begins to simmer. Lower the heat to medium and continue to cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
SIXTH STEP: Remove the soup from the heat. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
SEVENTH STEP: Garnish with fresh, thinly sliced basil.
Can I use chicken broth?
Yes, you can easily substitute chicken broth for the vegetable broth in this tomato soup recipe.
Can I make tomato soup in advance?
You can make tomato soup ahead of time and store it in the freezer for up to two months. Allow the soup to thaw completely before reheating.
What should I serve with tomato soup?
Top your soup with homemade croutons, shredded parmesan cheese, or a dollop of sour cream. Tomato soup is also perfect for dipping bread and sandwiches.
How to Store Homemade Tomato Soup
IN THE FRIDGE: Store leftover tomato soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
IN THE FREEZER: Tomato soup can be stored in a freezer-safe container for up to two months. Allow the soup to completely thaw before reheating and serving.
Homemade Tomato Soup
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp salted sweet cream butter
- 1½ cups finely diced sweet yellow onion
- 1 tbsp fresh minced garlic
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cans tomato puree, (29-ounce)
- 1 can vegetable broth, (32-ounce)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced basil
- Using a 5-6 quart stockpot, over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and butter.
- Add the finely diced onion and fresh minced garlic. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring often until the onion is translucent.
- Whisk in the flour and continue to cook and stir for 2 minutes
- Add the tomato puree, vegetable broth, and tomato paste. Stir to completely incorporate the tomato paste.
- Add the granulated sugar, kosher salt, dried basil, cracked pepper, red pepper flakes, and whole bay leaves. Stir occasionally until the soup begins to simmer. Lower the heat to medium and continue to cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
- Garnish with fresh, thinly sliced basil.