Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
Don’t you hate when you’re in the kitchen cooking dinner and you realize that you forgot something that you needed when you were at the store? That happened to us today after we had already been to the store twice! Once for our regular Saturday morning grocery shopping and once for tin foil. Couldn’t make dinner without it so I sent my hubby to the store while I prepped everything else. I didn’t realize until he was already on his way back home that I had forgotten croutons for our salad and he wasn’t about to turn around to go and get them.
I pulled out my tablet and Googled “how to make easy croutons”. I came across a recipe for Homemade Croutons from Skinnytaste that looked good so I decided to try them. I didn’t have any whole grain bread like the recipe called for so I just used regular white bread in it’s place. I was worried because my bread was pretty fresh and wasn’t “old” like you’d normally use but I was kind of desperate so I thought I’d try it anyways.
Turns out you can make Easy Homemade Croutons with fresh regular white bread no problem. My husband kept going on and on about how much he liked them in his salad and I didn’t tell him that they were about the easiest thing in the whole world to make. Start to finish I had Easy Homemade Parmesan Garlic Croutons that were ready to eat in about 20 minutes and they were a huge hit with him!
Easy Homemade Parmesan Garlic Croutons
- 6 pieces of white bread cut into bite sized squares with the crusts removed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 tablespoon freeze dried chives
- 1 tablespoon Grated Parmesan Cheese the kind that is in a bottle that is more like a powder, not fresh.... although you could use fresh if you wanted!
- Pre-heat your oven to 300°
- Cut the crusts off of your bread and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of oil on a baking sheet and kind of rub it around with your fingers to grease the whole surface.
- Add your bread to the baking sheet and gently stir and toss your bread around so that the oil coats all sides. Drizzle the last 1/2 tablespoon over the top of the bread and toss again.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of your garlic powder, salt, chives and Parmesan Cheese over the bread. Toss and sprinkle the remaining seasonings.
- Put in the oven and bake at 300° for 13 minutes. Remove from the oven and drizzle your melted butter over the tops of your croutons. Toss and place back in the oven and turn it to broil.
- Watch your croutons carefully as the broiler cooks them very quickly, especially after you have added your butter.
- When they are starting to brown they are done! Remove from the oven and add to your salad.
- Serve and enjoy!