Last updated on
Table of Contents
Packed with flavor and texture, there is a reason that everyone loves chicken salad. This traditional recipe is a favorite at a picnic and is always a delicious choice for a sandwich.
Tender chicken is tossed with crisp celery and crunchy onions and then mixed with a creamy dressing to create this classic recipe. With just a few simple ingredients you can create a cold, creamy salad to enjoy on its own or as a filling for a sandwich or wrap.
Serve your lunch on a croissant, on fresh sliced bread, or on a bed of lettuce. Enjoy this recipe with a side of french fries, potato chips, or a side salad, and then wash it all down with a cold glass of raspberry iced tea.
You can easily eat this recipe for a hearty lunch or a light dinner. A crowd favorite to bring to potlucks or barbecues, you can even serve it as a dip with crackers.
Chicken Salad Ingredients
- Chicken – diced, cooked chicken breast
- Celery – finely diced celery
- Onion – finely diced sweet yellow onion
- Green onion – thinly sliced green onion
- Salt – kosher salt
- Pepper – fresh cracked black pepper
This easy chicken salad recipe can be made with rotisserie chicken or leftover grilled or baked chicken. Your chicken can be diced or shredded, and you could also substitute canned cooked chicken.
This classic recipe is yummy already, but you can also add other favorite ingredients. Try including chopped nuts, diced apples, sliced grapes, or chopped dried cranberries in your chicken salad.
For the best flavor, make this recipe and let it sit in the fridge overnight before enjoying it. This allows all the flavors to blend together for the ultimate chicken salad. Then when you are ready to enjoy your easy to make recipe, you can eat it in a lettuce wrap, on a sandwich, or simply by itself.
How to Make Chicken Salad
FIRST STEP: Using a large mixing bowl, stir together the diced chicken breast, mayonnaise, diced celery, diced yellow onion, thinly sliced green onion, dill, kosher salt, and cracked pepper.
SECOND STEP: Serve immediately or keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
THIRD STEP: If you are serving as a sandwich, use ½ cup per sandwich.
How long does chicken salad last in the fridge?
Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, this classic recipe will last for 3 to 5 days.
Can I make this recipe in advance?
This easy recipe can be made a day or two in advance and stored in the fridge until ready to enjoy.
Can I freeze chicken salad?
Chicken salad does not freeze well as it separates when thawing so it is best to make it fresh.
How to Store this recipew
IN THE FRIDGE: Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
IN THE FREEZER: We don’t recommend freezing chicken salad.
- 2½ cups cooked chicken breast *diced
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup celery *finely diced
- ¼ cup sweet yellow onion *finely diced
- 1/3 cup green onion *thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dill
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper *fresh cracked
- Using a large mixing bowl, stir together the diced chicken breast, mayonnaise, diced celery, diced yellow onion, thinly sliced green onion, dill, kosher salt, and cracked pepper.
- Serve immediately or keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- If you are serving as a sandwich, use ½ cup per sandwich.