Last updated on
Table of Contents
Crispy french fries smothered with meaty chili and a melty cheese sauce. This hearty appetizer is a crowd favorite that tastes like it just came from a restaurant.
Chili Cheese Fries
The perfect appetizer for parties, game days, movie nights, or late-night snacks. Savory chili cheese fries are a crowd favorite treat that is ready with just 5 minutes of prep time.
Serve your meaty, cheesy, fries on a platter topped with your favorite toppings like green onions, salsa, sour cream, or guacamole. Pair it with other easy appetizers like quesadillas or bacon wrapped mozzarella cheese sticks.
Satisfying even your hungriest guests, appetizing chili cheese fries can even be a simple weeknight meal. You can easily double the recipe to make enough for a crowd. If you want, the chili can be made up to 3 days in advance and then kept in the fridge until you are ready to serve it over your fries.
Chili Cheese Fries Ingredients
- Onion – large onion, diced
- Ground beef
- Tomato sauce – can of tomato sauce
- Water – use the tomato sauce can to measure
- Tomatoes – can of petite diced tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Green chilies
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Whipping cream – heavy whipping cream
- Cheese – extra sharp cheddar
- Cheese – shredded pepper jack
- French fries – frozen French fries
- Jalapeños – for garnish
- Green onions – for garnish
Did you make a pot of chili and now you have some leftovers? If you have leftover homemade chili from a previous meal, you could reheat it and use it on top of your fries. Try making our crockpot chili or even a turkey chili.
Your fries will become soft as they sit under the chili, so once you’ve assembled your dish make sure to serve it right away. In addition to frozen french fries, you could use potato wedges, sweet potato fries, potatoes, or even make homemade fries.
Toppings are an easy and scrumptious way to add extra flavor to your dish. Try adding crumbled bacon on top as well as sour cream, diced tomatoes, sliced avocado, or chopped cilantro. You could also kick up the spice by adding a bit of hot sauce or cayenne pepper to your chili.
How to Make Chili Cheese Fries
FIRST STEP: Prepare French fries according to package directions.
SECOND STEP: In a skillet, sauté diced onion until they start to become translucent. Add the ground beef and cook until all the pink is gone. Drain fat.
THIRD STEP: Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, green chilies, water, and seasonings. Stir and let simmer for 3-5 minutes while you shred the cheese.
FOURTH STEP: In a medium saucepan, heat up heavy cream until bubbles start to form around the sides. Reduce heat to low and stir in cheeses and seasonings until the cheese is completely melted.
FIFTH STEP: To assemble the dish, spread some cheese on the bottom of the plate, then pile the fries on top of the cheese, add a little more cheese, top with chili, more cheese sauce, and garnish with green onion and jalapeños.
What toppings can I put on my chili cheese fries?
Crumbled bacon, diced tomatoes, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, diced red onions, sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, black olives, or extra shredded cheddar cheese are all great choices for toppings.
Can I make chili cheese fries in advance?
The chili can be made up to 3 days in advance. If you make a big batch of chili for dinner, use the leftovers to prepare this dish.
Can I use canned chili?
Any type of chili will work for making chili cheese fries. Make your own homemade chili or save time and grab a can from the grocery store.
How to Store Chili Cheese Fries
IN THE FRIDGE: Leftover chili cheese fries can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat fries on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 10 minutes.
Chili Cheese Fries
- ¼ large onion diced
- 1 ground of ground beef
- 1 can of tomato sauce 15-ounce
- ¼ can of water use the tomato sauce can to measure
- ½ of a 15-ounce can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 ounce can of green chilies
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups of extra sharp cheddar, shredded 1 eight-ounce block
- 2 cups of shredded pepper jack shredded ¼ of a 2-pound block
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of chili powder
You'll also need:
- 1 bag of frozen French fries
- jalapeños and green onions for garnish
- Prepare French fries according to package directions.
- In a skillet, sauté diced onion until they start to become translucent. Add the ground beef and cook until all the pink is gone. Drain fat.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, green chilies, water, and seasonings. Stir and let simmer for 3-5 minutes while you shred the cheese.
- In a medium saucepan, heat up heavy cream until bubbles start to form around the sides. Reduce heat to low and stir in cheeses and seasonings until the cheese is completely melted.
- To assemble the dish, spread some cheese on the bottom of the plate, then pile the fries on top of the cheese, add a little more cheese, top with chili, more cheese sauce, and garnish with green onion and jalapeños.