This easy-to-make Turkey Chili is a filling comfort food. Deliciously seasoned and loaded with lean ground turkey, beans, and veggies, it’s a cozy meal that is perfect for a big gathering or a weeknight dinner.
Thick, hearty, and bursting with flavor, this chili is a one-pot meal that you can have ready in less than an hour. A big pot of warm chili is a perfect recipe to feed a crowd on game day, or for a weeknight dinner with leftovers for lunch the next day.
Turkey chili is a lighter version of the classic chili, with ground turkey, beans, tomatoes, and spices all simmered together. It’s easily customizable by adding on all your favorite toppings, which means it quickly becomes a family favorite.
Turkey Chili Ingredients
- Green bell peppers
- Cooking oil
- Ground Turkey
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
- Pinto beans
- Kidney beans
- Brown sugar
- Baking soda
- Green onions (optional for garnish)
- Sour cream (optional for garnish)
- Shredded cheese (optional for garnish)
It’s easy to sneak additional veggies into your chili. Some great options include corn, zucchini, butternut squash, or carrots. If you’re looking to add a little something extra to your bowl, this chili is also great served over rice.
If you are making this recipe after Thanksgiving, turkey chili is an excellent recipe for using leftover turkey. Simply shred the turkey meat and use it rather than ground turkey. You could also make this chalice with cooked shredded chicken.
A bowl of chili isn’t complete without toppings. If you’re serving your chili to a crowd you could even put together a topping bar with shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions, cilantro, avocado, and hot sauce, just to name a few ideas.
How to Make Turkey Chili
FIRST STEP: Heat oil in a large dutch oven. Sauté green pepper, onion, and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add ground turkey and cook until just done.
SECOND STEP: Add in cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and salt and cook for about 1 minute, stirring continuously.
THIRD STEP: Pour in tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Stir in the brown sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for about 15 minutes.
FOURTH STEP: Add in the pinto and kidney beans.
FIFTH STEP: Add the baking soda and stir until the bubbles disappear.
SIXTH STEP: Simmer 10 minutes more.
SEVENTH STEP: Serve warm. Garnish with sour cream, green onion, and shredded cheese.
Make your chili spicier by adding a diced jalapeño to the bell pepper mixture. You could also add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
Swap either the kidney beans or pinto beans for black beans or any other favorite kind of bean.
Use any color of bell pepper or switch to another mild type of pepper such as poblano or Anaheim.
Storing this Recipe
IN THE FRIDGE: Store leftover turkey chili in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 4-5 days. To reheat, pour into a large pot and heat over medium heat for 20 minutes, until warmed through. Chili can also be reheated gently in the microwave.
IN THE FREEZER: Allow the chili to cool to room temperature and then store in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 large diced onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 T cooking oil
- 2 lbs Ground Turkey chopped
- 2 T cumin
- 3 T chili powder
- 1 T onion powder
- ½ T salt
- 2 15- ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 t baking soda
- Green onions sour cream shredded cheese (optional for garnish)
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven. Saute green pepper, onion, and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add ground turkey and cook until just done.
- Add in cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and salt and cook about 1 minute, stirring continuously
- Pour in tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Stir in the brown sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add in the pinto and kidney beans.
- Add the baking soda and stir until the bubbles disappear
- Simmer 10 minutes more
- Serve warm. Garnish with sour cream, green onion and shredded cheese