Last updated on
Table of Contents
A delicious spin on a classic appetizer, this dill pickle cheese ball tastes like a party in your mouth. Brimming with an irresistible zesty flavor, this easy appetizer is perfect for your next gathering, and all your guests will love it.
Salty, creamy, and cheesy, this creamy dill pickle cheese ball will tantalize your taste buds. Dill pickles, cheese, cream cheese, and garlic all combine to make an insanely delicious and addictive dill pickle cheese ball.
This tangy cheese ball can be served with plenty of different dippers, including your favorite crackers, chips, and veggies. Other options include pairing your cheese ball with a selection of flatbreads and sliced French bread. You could even try lightly toasting slices of ciabatta bread and drizzling them with extra-virgin olive oil before piling on generous dollops of delicious dill pickle cheese ball goodness.
With a tantalizing tang from the dill pickles, this dill pickle cheese ball is bound to be a hit at your next party. It’s so good that you may not be able to stop eating it!
Dill Pickle Cheese Ball Ingredients
- Cream cheese
- Worcestershire sauce
- Pickle juice
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Lemon pepper - spice blend
- Dill pickles - we used the refrigerated kind because they have a fresher flavor
- Cheese - shredded Colby jack
- Dill - fresh dill
- Crackers - for serving
You may be tempted to add salt to the recipe when you taste it immediately after mixing. Don’t do it! The flavors come together after a few hours in the refrigerator. Plus, you will likely be serving this cheese ball appetizer with salty crackers, so additional salt is not necessary.
You can garnish the cheese ball with pecans or walnuts. Bacon bits or freshly cooked chopped bacon would also be a great addition to this dill pickle cream cheese ball recipe. You can also completely cover it in dill instead of lightly sprinkling dill on top.
Feel free to swap out the Colby jack cheese for shredded mozzarella, cheddar, and Muenster. Up to ½ cup of grated parmesan cheese can be added for even more flavor.
How to Make Dill Pickle Cheese Ball
FIRST STEP: Mix the softened cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and pickle juice in a medium bowl until combined.
SECOND STEP: Add the onion powder, garlic powder, and lemon pepper seasoning. Mix until the spices are evenly distributed throughout the cheese.
THIRD STEP: Fold in the Colby jack cheese, diced pickles, and fresh dill.
FOURTH STEP: Line a soup bowl with plastic wrap and fill the bowl with the cheese mixture. Gather the plastic wrap and twist until the cheese mixture is a ball shape and tightly compacted.
FIFTH STEP: Refrigerate the cheese ball for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
SIXTH STEP: Serve with crackers.
How does it taste?
This dill pickle cheese ball is full of tangy and tart pickle flavor. The vinegary tang is balanced out by the creamy cheese and fresh dill. Additionally, this cheese ball appetizer is best served cold.
Can you make a cheese ball ahead of time?
Yes! We recommend you make it at least a day in advance to allow the flavors to blend together. You can eat it after a few hours, but it tastes better the next day. A homemade cheese ball will keep for up to 5 days. You can freeze the cheese ball for up to a month for longer-term storage, but the texture of the cream cheese may be a bit grainy.
Can I buy grated cheese for this recipe?
Yes! We like using the bagged, pre-shredded cheese for this recipe because you can buy the very finely shredded kinds, and it tends to mix into the cream cheese better and not clump up. Also, make sure you use room temperature cream cheese, so you don’t have any lumps in your cheese ball mixture.
How to Store Dill Pickle Cheese Ball
IN THE FRIDGE: Store the cheese ball in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it. It will last in the fridge for up to 5 days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze this delicious dill pickle cheese ball for up to a month for longer-term storage, but the texture of the cream cheese may become a bit grainy. We recommend that you label the container with the best-by date to ensure you use it up while it is still good.
Dill Pickle Cheese Ball
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper spice blend
- 1 cup dill pickles, diced small (I used the refrigerated kind because they have a fresher flavor (Claussen brand))
- 8 ounces Colby jack, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- crackers, for serving
- Mix the softened cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and pickle juice in a medium bowl until combined.
- Add the onion powder, garlic powder, and lemon pepper seasoning. Mix until the spices are evenly distributed throughout the cheese.
- Fold in the Colby jack cheese, diced pickles, and fresh dill.
- Line a soup bowl with plastic wrap and fill the bowl with the cheese mixture. Gather the plastic wrap and twist until the cheese mixture is a ball shape and tightly compacted.
- Refrigerate the cheese ball for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Serve with crackers.