Last updated on
Table of Contents
Cold Tuna Pasta Salad is an old fashioned recipe that is perfect for picnics, potlucks, or anytime you need a delicious and easy to make side dish. The combination of pasta, tuna, peas, onions, mayonnaise and miracle whip comes together to make the all time best pasta salad.
This easy side dish recipe is perfect during the summer months, at backyard barbecues, church functions, baby showers, or anytime you're craving an easy to make side salad.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED TO MAKE COLD TUNA PASTA SALAD
With easy ingredients you’ll be amazed to see just how basic and easy this vintage recipe is. It uses a small secret ingredient (miracle whip) to make it completely crave worthy.
No matter where you serve this recipe I guarantee it will be a huge hit!
Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- large elbow macaroni, cooked per package directions
- canned peas, drained
- Albacore Tuna, in water
- yellow onion, finely chopped
- miracle whip
- ground black pepper
INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
MEAT: Canned Albacore Tuna is called for in this recipe. However, not everyone likes tuna. You could easily swap out the tuna for rotisserie chicken that is chopped up or shredded.
MAYONNAISE: If you don't like mayonnaise, or want to cut down on calories and fat opt for plain greek yogurt instead. It's easily interchangeable with mayonnaise. You might want to do a taste test first before serving and adjust the salt and pepper if using plain greek yogurt.
ONIONS: As long as you add onions to this recipe it won't matter what kind they are. My go to favorites are yellow sweet onions and green onions. However, if you prefer a less noticeable onion taste in this cold tuna pasta salad, you can easily use a red onion instead.
HOW TO MAKE THIS EASY TUNA PASTA SALAD
FIRST STEP: Bring water and oil to a boil. Add noodles and cook per package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool.
SECOND STEP: Place cooled and drained noodles in a large mixing bowl. Add peas, tuna, yellow onion, miracle whip, mayonnaise, salt, and ground black pepper. Stir to combine.
THIRD STEP: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour, or until ready to serve.
FOURTH STEP: Serve and enjoy!
Tuna Pasta (Cold)
- 16 ounces large elbow macaroni, cooked per package directions
- 1 15-oz can peas, drained
- 1 can Albacore Tuna, in water
- ½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp miracle whip, add 1 additional tbsp if desired
- 1 cups mayonnaise, *as this recipe sits it will dry out
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Bring water and oil to a boil. Add noodles and cook per package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool.
- Place cooled and drained noodles in a large mixing bowl. Add peas, tuna, yellow onion, miracle whip, mayonnaise, salt, and ground black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour, or until ready to serve.
- Serve and enjoy!