Last updated on
Table of Contents
This Cheeseburger Soup is the hearty recipe you need to warm your belly on a cold winter night. Not only is this soup packed full of cheesy goodness, but it’s also full of flavor that your friends and family will love!
Cheeseburgers are a delicious American favorite, but sometimes you just aren’t able to fry up the grill and make the perfect burger. Especially during the winter, grilling a burger can be difficult, but making soup on the stove is a great alternative!
Many people may ask what to serve along with Cheeseburger Soup. First off, consider serving some buttered bread or rolls to soak up that liquid cheesy goodness that’s left behind. Additionally, to lighten up your dinner, you could serve a nice side salad with it.
Cheeseburger Soup Ingredients
- Ground Beef
- Unsalted Butter
- White Onion
- Shredded Carrots
- Diced Celery
- Italian Seasoning
- Black Pepper
- Russet Potatoes
- Chicken Broth
- All Purpose Flour
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
Everyone loves their cheeseburgers a different way, and this recipe can be customized as well! Cook bacon until it’s crispy and add some crumbles to the top of each bowl before serving. If you want to add a little spice, you could consider adding either a little jalapeno to the dish or topping with some pepper jack cheese. This recipe is built on a potato soup recipe, so if you have one of your own that you love, try adding the extra ingredients to that and see how it turns out!
You can try using different flavors of cheese, but the different consistencies may cook differently, so be aware you may need to adjust your soup as needed. If you don’t want to use cheddar cheese, Velveeta cheese is one of the best meltable cheeses for soup!
How to Make Cheeseburger Soup Ingredients
FIRST STEP: In a 12” frying pan, thoroughly cook ground beef. Drain fat and set aside for now.
SECOND STEP: In a large 5-Quart pot with 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium-high heat, sauté onion, carrots and diced celery with Italian seasoning, oregano, salt and pepper until onions have softened (2-3 minutes).
THIRD STEP: Add in beef, potatoes, and chicken broth to the pot. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid and simmer for 10-12 minutes (until potatoes are tender).
FOURTH STEP: In a separate small frying pan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat and stir in flour until it starts to bubble (2 minutes) then add this mixture to the soup stirring well to mix.
FIFTH STEP: Stir in cheese until fully melted.
SIXTH STEP: Add in milk, and bring back to a simmer.
SEVENTH STEP: Stir in sour cream until well mixed. Then remove from heat.
If you want to eliminate some fat from this dish, try using ground turkey instead of ground beef.
Substitute cream cheese for the sour cream in this recipe to thicken it up a little bit. Keep in mind, it will take a little longer to melt than the sour cream will.
Season ground beef with seasonings of choice while cooking it to add more flavor to the meat. This is in addition to the seasonings added to the recipe.
Storing this Recipe
IN FRIDGE: Allow recipe to cool completely before placing in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
IN FREEZER: While it is not recommended to store this soup in the freezer, it will last for up to 6 months if frozen. The potatoes can become dry because they will soak up moisture and can become grainy when defrosted. They can also turn to mush and you will end up with a more mashed potato consistency when you thaw them. Additionally, freezing the melted cheese isn’t a good idea. It can cause the properties of the cheese to separate and can result in a more grainy texture or even make it look like it has curdled (which it hasn’t).
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 1 medium white onion diced
- ¾ cup carrots shredded
- ¾ cup celery diced
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 large russet potatoes (about 3 cups) peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 3 cup chicken broth low sodium
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 ½ cup milk 2%
- ¼ cup sour cream full fat
- In a 12 inch frying pan, thoroughly cook ground beef. Drain fat and set aside for now.
- In a large 5-Quart pot with 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium-high heat, sauté onion, carrots, and diced celery with Italian seasoning, oregano, salt and pepper until onions have softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in beef, potatoes, and chicken broth to the pot. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- In a separate small frying pan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat and stir in flour until it starts to bubble, 2 minutes. Then add this mixture to the soup stirring well to mix.
- Stir in cheese until fully melted.
- Add in milk and bring back to a simmer. Then stir in sour cream until well mixed.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.