Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
Chocolate cake is a classic, but did you know that by using mayo instead of eggs and oil you can get an even richer flavor? Mayonnaise is the secret ingredient for making a simple homemade chocolate cake that is fluffy, moist, and only 7 ingredients.
If you’re looking for a made from scratch cake recipe that is both delicious and easy to make, you’ll want to try this Mayonnaise Cake recipe.
Don’t let the mayonnaise in the name scare you away. Yes, you’re probably used to thinking of mayonnaise as an ingredient for an Egg Salad Sandwich or this Million Dollar Cream Cheese Garlic Dip appetizer recipe, but mayo can be used in place of eggs or oil in cake recipes.
So, what is a mayonnaise cake? Developed during the Great Depression, when fresh ingredients like eggs were often hard to come by, the chocolate mayonnaise cake has become a classic thanks to its wonderful crumb texture that is both moist and fluffy.
Mayo Cake Ingredients
- Baking soda
Mayonnaise is basically made from two main ingredients which are oil and eggs, two ingredients that are found in pretty much every cake recipe. That essentially makes swapping mayo for those ingredients a shortcut as you’re combining multiple ingredients into one.
Don’t worry, you won’t taste the mayo. What you will taste is a chocolate cake that is full of moisture and richness and chocolate flavor. Chocolate mayo cake also pairs perfectly with a cup of coffee or some Bailey’s and Coffee Ice Cubes.
How to Make Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
FIRST STEP: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans.
SECOND STEP: In a large bowl add the flour, sugar, cocoa, and baking soda. Take a whisk and whisk the dry ingredients to remove any lumps.
THIRD STEP: In a medium bowl add the mayonnaise, vanilla, and water and using a whisk mix together until smooth.
FOURTH STEP: Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir just until combined. Do not overmix.
FIFTH STEP: Divide the batter between the two prepared pans.
SIXTH STEP: Bake this Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake for 30 minutes or until toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.
SEVENTH STEP: Remove from oven and cool completely.
EIGHTH STEP: Ice with chocolate frosting.
Use full-fat mayonnaise for the best results.
You can use either dark Dutch cocoa or regular cocoa.
Don’t overmix the batter.
Measure your flour by using a spoon to fill the measuring cup and then level off the excess with a straight edge (like a knife).
Storing this Recipe
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container, like a covered cake plate or cake box.
- To freeze, first, make sure the cake has fully cooled. Wrap tightly in a layer of plastic wrap and aluminum foil and freeze for up to two months.
- To thaw cake, unwrap, and let it warm up at room temperature.
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk or more if needed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl add the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda. Take a whisk and whisk the dry ingredients to remove any lumps.
- Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Ice with chocolate frosting.
- Place the cocoa in a large mixing bowl. Add the melted butter. Using a mixer mix until combined and smooth.
- Next add the vanilla, powdered sugar and milk and mix until smooth beating for 2-3 minutes