These easy, homemade slow cooker French dip sandwiches are so simple and delicious!
You know a recipe is really good when you eat it twice in one week.
True story, the first time I made this recipe was for our family dinner on Christmas Eve.
They were SO good! Everyone raved over them.
We were starving that night and could hardly wait for them to get done.
In fact, we inhaled our sandwiches and went back for seconds they were so good.
A few days later, I couldn’t stop thinking about delicious these French dip sandwiches were with the au jus. I decided we needed to make the recipe again. So we ended up eating it twice in the same week.
They’re the best sandwiches — full of flavor and so easy to make in the slow cooker. I think they’ll have the same effect on you.
I’ve made this many times since that first Christmas Eve and the recipe never lets me down.
Anyone who has eaten these at our house has asked for the recipe… so I decided it was about time to share it with y’all.
Trust me, you’re going to love it.. and I wouldn’t be surprised if you make it twice in one week as well!
Ingredients for French Dip Sandwiches
Let’s start with the beef: we used a tri tip since this cut of meat doesn’t have a ton of fat and works great for the au jus!
You’ll also need low sodium soy sauce, water, beef bouillon cubes, Worcestershire sauce, ground black pepper, garlic powder, chives and an onion.
I’ve also used a packet of onion soup mix in this recipe before and it’s delicious!
How to Make French Dip Sandwiches in a Crock Pot
- Start by turning your crock pot to low.
- Add all of your ingredients (except the meat) and stir well.
- Place your meat in your slow cooker and cover.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or until the meat falls apart when shredding with 2 forks.
- Shred the meat and then place it back in the slow cooker and continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes so the flavor gets into all of the shredded meat.
- Drain the liquid off of the meat and serve it (in little bowls) with your french dip sandwiches!
One of my favorite things about this recipe is how incredibly easy it is.
I’m always busy, I’m always juggling too much, I’m always on the go. So I love that I can pop all the ingredients in my slow cooker in the morning and have an incredible meal that evening.
And it makes the house smell ah-mazing while it’s doing it’s thing in the crock pot. Your mouth will be watering the second you walk in the door and can smell all the deliciousness!
Add-on Ideas for Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches with Au Jus Sauce
- Horse Radish: You’d be surprised how many things you can add to these sandwiches! You can add horse radish, it gives the sandwiches a delicious, tangy taste.
- Onions: Grilled or carmelized onions add a little bit of kick to an otherwise plain beef sandwich.
- Provolone: Of course, a slice of provolone cheese would work on its own or with the onions! Don’t be afraid to get creative with it!
- Bell Peppers: You can’t replace the feeling you get when you bite into a crispy, freshly cut bell pepper. Try them sauteed, it’ll add a whole new flavor to your sandwich!
This go-to recipe is an often requested family favorite that I continue to use for busy weeknight and holiday gatherings.
You will not be disappointed.
I hope you try these Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches with Au Jus Sauce soon!
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches with Au Jus Sauce
- 1 3 lb tri tip this cut of meat doesn't have a ton of fat and works perfectly for the Au Jus
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 tablespoon better than bouillon beef base or 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chives we used freeze dried that are kept in the fridge since we didn't have fresh on hand
- 1/2 medium yellow onion sliced
Turn your slow cooker to low.
Add all of your ingredients (except the meat) and stir well.
Place your meat in your slow cooker and cover.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours or until the meat falls apart when shredding with 2 forks.
Shred the meat and then place it back in the slow cooker and continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes so the flavor gets into all of the shredded meat.
Drain the liquid off of the meat and serve it (in little bowls) with your french dip sandwiches!
My inspiration (and adaptation) for this sandwich came from a recipe for Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches that Carrian from Oh Sweet Basil posted.
HERE ARE A FEW MORE DELICIOUS RECIPE POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY TODAY:
- MILLION DOLLAR CREAM CHEESE AND GARLIC DIP
- QUICK AND EASY LITTLE SMOKIES
- THE BEST PINWHEEL RECIPES
- ROASTED GARLIC CHICKEN WHITE SAUCE PIZZA
- SKINNY QUICK AND EASY COTTAGE CHEESE DIP
- PANKO BREADED ONION RINGS
- THE BEST QUESADILLA RECIPES
- COLD TUNA PASTA
- THE BEST MILLION DOLLAR RECIPES
- MEXICAN STREET CORN DIP
- SECRET INGREDIENT FRY SAUCE RECIPE
- EASY NO-KNEAD BREADS AND ROLLS
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Meet Shauna, Owner and Founder of The Best Blog Recipes!
She not only loves to cook food, but loves to eat it too! Shauna is a firm believer in using easy ingredients to create delicious recipes that her family and friends can easily re-create at home.