Last updated on
Table of Contents
Crispy, crunchy, and colorful, this Chinese Chicken Salad is a refreshing choice for a side salad at dinner or to bring to a potluck. This fresh salad is a big bowl of flavor that the whole family will love.
Chinese Chicken Salad
A rainbow of tastes and textures, Chinese Chicken Salad combines colorful vegetables, tender chicken, and the surprising crunch of chow mein noodles and wontons. Fresh salads, including Chinese Chicken Salad, can be made so many ways and customized to your family’s tastes.
Fresh veggies, tender chicken, and crispy noodles are tossed with a tangy dressing to create a tasty salad that pairs well with many different entrees. Serve your crisp Chinese Chicken Salad as a side for Crispy Honey Chicken or Hoisin Chicken.
Chinese Chicken Salad is a delicious choice for taking to a summer picnic or family get-together. Full of yummy Asian-inspired flavors, this salad is tangy, sweet, savory, and delicious.
Chinese Chicken Salad Ingredients
- Vinegar – rice wine vinegar
- Soy sauce – light soy sauce
- Sugar – granulated sugar
- Garlic – roasted garlic paste
- Ginger – ginger paste
- Oil – vegetable oil
- Cabbage – green cabbage
- Cabbage – red cabbage
- Pepper – red bell pepper
- Onions – green onions
- Chicken – cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- Chow mein noodles – crispy fried chow mein noodles
- Wonton strips – crispy fried wonton strips
- Sesame seeds – toasted sesame seeds
Depending on the availability at your local grocery store, you can use red or purple cabbage in your salad, and often you can purchase half heads of cabbage. To supplement the salad you can also add some romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, or some chopped spinach.
The ingredients, as well as the amounts, are completely customizable in this salad recipe. You could add raw broccoli florets, snow peas, or sweet mandarin orange slices. Try adding a variety of crunchy toppings including ramen noodles, toasted almonds, or black sesame seeds.
Use chicken breast, or pick up a rotisserie chicken from the store to use in this salad. If you have a different dressing recipe that you prefer you could use that instead.
How to Make Chinese Chicken Salad
FIRST STEP: Whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, garlic paste, and ginger paste. Slowly drizzle the oil into the other dressing ingredients while whisking vigorously to emulsify the ingredients. Set aside.
SECOND STEP: In a large salad bowl toss together cabbage, bell pepper, carrots, green onions, cilantro, and chicken.
THIRD STEP: Chill, covered, in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
FOURTH STEP: Just before serving, add chow mein noodles and wonton strips to the salad ingredients.
FIFTH STEP: Whisk sesame seeds into the dressing. Drizzle desired amount of dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
SIXTH STEP: Serve immediately.
How do I make the soy ginger dressing?
To make the dressing, heat sugar, salt, pepper, and vinegar until sugar is dissolved. Cool, then add ½ cup of oil. Put ingredients in a sealed jar and shake well to mix. If you have any extra dressing, store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Where can I buy wonton strips?
You can buy both wonton strips and crispy fried chow mein noodles in the Asian section of the grocery store or at a bulk food store.
How do I toast sesame seeds?
Toss sesame seeds in a saute pan over medium heat for a couple of minutes until they begin to brown. Then remove them from the saute pan immediately so they do not burn.
How to Store Chinese Chicken Salad
IN THE FRIDGE: After the salad has been mixed with dressing the chow mien noodles and wonton strips will become soggy. However, the salad, dressing, and crispy toppings can be stored separately in airtight containers for up to 4 days in the refrigerator and then combined for serving.
Chinese Chicken Salad
Soy Ginger Dressing
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon roasted garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ head green cabbage thinly sliced
- ½ head red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper seeds and stem removed, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot sliced thinly
- 2 green onions chopped (you can use the green parts only or the whites too, for addedonion flavor)
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken cubed or shredded
- 1 cup chow mein noodles crispy fried
- 1 cup wonton strips crispy fried
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, garlic paste, and ginger paste. Slowly drizzle the oil into the other dressing ingredients while whisking vigorously to emulsify the ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl toss together cabbage, bell pepper, carrots, green onions, cilantro, and chicken.
- Chill, covered, in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, add chow mein noodles and wonton strips to the salad ingredients.
- Whisk sesame seeds into the dressing. Drizzle desired amount of dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.