This Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe has all of the flavors of a traditional egg roll in an easy to make skillet dinner that your family will love! It comes together quickly and makes the perfect weeknight dinner recipe.
Better than take out, this Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe is sure to become a new family favorite!
ONE SKILLET MEAL
One of the best things about this Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe is that it is made in one skillet. Plus one mixing bowl. I guess you could figure in the cutting board and knife too if we’re going to get all technical.
So one skillet, one bowl, one cutting board, one knife, and my super secret tool – a potato peeler!
Use a spoon to mix everything together and you have an easy dinner recipe that has very minimal clean up.
I know this may seem weird, but this recipe calls for the carrots to be in “strips”.
Trust me, it totally works in this recipe! The ribbons of carrots cook perfectly and don’t get too mushy since this cooks quickly.
Cut off the ends of your carrots and run the peeler from top to bottom. It’s that simple!
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED TO MAKE AN EGG ROLL IN A BOWL RECIPE?
I try to keep my recipes simple, but with that being said I do like a ton of flavor when I eat. So does my family. Here’s what I added to this simple recipe:
- Sesame Oil
- Ground Beef
- Ground Ginger
- Yellow Onion
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Red Pepper Flakes (Optional, but I highly recommend!)
- Minced Garlic
- Soy Sauce
- Vegetable Oil
IS THIS RECIPE BUDGET FRIENDLY?
If you have a busy family like I do then you need easy recipes to make during the week. Who can afford Chinese take out more than once or twice per month? Not us!
We try and budge our money for the month and buy meat when it is on sale and freeze it when possible. That way when I’m ready to cook dinner I just have to stop and get a few easy ingredients to make dinner for my hungry family.
This recipe can easily serve 5 and can be made for less than $20 depending on what spices you have on hand already.
HOW DO YOU MAKE EGG ROLL IN A BOWL?
The key to this whole recipe believe it or not is using Sesame Oil. I use it in all of my better than take out recipes! You can find it in the Asian Foods aisle at your grocery store. A small bottle usually costs between three and four dollars, unless you can get it on sale.
Once you have your sesame oil you are ready to go. Brown your ground beef and drain the oil. After that I add the onions and minced garlic. Cook for about 5-7 minutes and then add the carrots and cabbage. Make sure to stir well.
Next add your sesame oil and cook until your cabbage and carrots are starting to get tender. You don’t want your carrots and cabbage to get too soft so keep an eye on them. At about 10 minutes you are ready to add your sauce mixture.
Reduce the heat and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes while stirring often. You don’t want the bottom to burn.
Once your carrots and cabbage are tender you are ready to serve up this delicious dinner.
One thing I like to mention is that I do add red pepper flakes to this recipe. It gives it a little bit of a kick which tastes amazing.
If you have little kids who will be eating I recommend that you try this first without the red pepper flakes. Unless they like it hot — then add 1/8 tsp and see how they do!
Let me know in the comments below if you tried this recipe and what you thought! I’m curious if you added the red pepper flakes or not.
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion diced finely
- 1 medium head of cabbage sliced into thin strips
- 3 medium carrots peeled into strips with a potato peeler
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes *optional ingredient
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic *about 4 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup soy sauce *reduced sodium
- 2-3 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Cook ground beef over medium heat in the largest skillet you have available until the meat is no longer pink. Drain grease and return ground beef to pan.
- Add diced onion and minced garlic and stir well. Continue to cook over medium heat until the onions are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp sesame oil, carrots, and cabbage to the skillet and stir well to combine. Let cook for 10 minutes while stirring often.
- In a small separate bowl combine onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes (optional), ground ginger, soy sauce, and vegetable oil. Use a whisk to combine.
- Pour sauce mixture over meat and cabbage mixture. Reduce heat to medium low and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes while stirring often until your carrots and cabbage are tender.
- Serve and enjoy!
Hope you enjoyed this easy to make Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe! Before you go, here are a few more delicious recipes you might enjoy today!
- HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE
- BOURBON CHICKEN
- WHITE CHOCOLATE REESE’S PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE BITES
- ZUCCHINI ZOODLES IN A LOW CARB SPAGHETTI SAUCE
- FREEZER BREAKFAST BURRITOS
- SECRET INGREDIENT FRY SAUCE
- SLOW COOKER FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES WITH AU JUS
- EASY FRENCH STRAWBERRY CAKE
- CREAMY BACON PASTA SPAGHETTI CARBONARA
- CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE