Last updated on
Table of Contents
Skip the takeout and make this easy pepperoni pizza casserole with biscuits! This homemade, biscuit pizza bake This dish marries the comfort of a casserole with the ease of a pizza. It only takes 10 minutes of prep and a handful of ingredients to make.
Change up your pizza night with pepperoni pizza biscuit casserole. Dinner is simple with Pillsbury Grands biscuits as the base to this bubble-up pizza casserole.
Bubble-up casseroles are baked in one pan and typically use refrigerated biscuits or rolls as the bread base. When baked, that bread base rises and “bubbles” up with the toppings.
A fresh green salad would be a great side for this hearty deep-dish biscuit pizza casserole. Serve the casserole with a fresh homemade kale salad or try something new and make a broccoli cauliflower salad.
Pizza Casserole with Biscuits Ingredients
The magic of this easy pizza casserole lies in its simple ingredients. For this recipe, you will need:
- Grands! Southern Homestyle Biscuits -
- pizza sauce
- Italian seasoning
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- pepperoni slices
- red pepper flakes
🍽️ The Grands! Southern Homestyle Biscuits form the base of our casserole, providing a fluffy and tender texture that perfectly complements the rich toppings.
Any pre-made biscuits will work for Pillsbury biscuit pizza casserole: homestyle, flaky, buttermilk, etc. Whichever kind you use, be sure to cut each into 8 equal pieces so everything bakes evenly.
🍽️ The pizza sauce, imbued with Italian seasoning, adds a tangy and robust flavor that permeates every bite.
Use your favorite pizza sauce or even make your own. This recipe is so easy to alter to your tastes. Think about adding some parmesan cheese!
🍽️ The shredded mozzarella cheese melts into a creamy and gooey layer, while the pepperoni slices introduce a hint of smoky and spicy notes.
🍽️ Mini pepperoni slices would be great with the bite-sized biscuits, but if you can’t find them at the store, regular is fine! The regular pepperoni slices are cheaper and could be sliced in half.
You could also use cooked sausage or add your favorite pizza toppings like black olives, mushrooms, green peppers, or onions.
🍽️ A sprinkle of red pepper flakes adds a kick of heat, making this dish a true flavor explosion.
Ingredient Substitution Ideas
How to Make Pizza Casserole with Biscuits
FIRST STEP: Preheat the oven to 375°F.
SECOND STEP: Cut each biscuit into 8 pieces. Ensure each biscuit is cut into eight equal pieces. This ensures even baking and a consistent texture throughout the casserole.
THIRD STEP: Spread biscuit pieces in a greased 9x13 casserole dish.
FOURTH STEP: Pour ½ jar of pizza sauce and ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning over biscuits and stir to thoroughly coat all the biscuit pieces with a bit of sauce.
FIFTH STEP: Sprinkle about 1 cup of the cheese over the biscuit mixture and stir again to distribute evenly.
SIXTH STEP: Pour the remaining jar of pizza sauce over the biscuit mixture.
SEVENTH STEP: Top with remaining cheese (you may not need/want to use all of it, but you can for extra cheesy) and pepperoni.
EIGHTH STEP: Sprinkle red pepper flakes (desired amount) and remaining ½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning over the casserole.
NINTH STEP: Bake for 20-55 minutes or until the biscuits have puffed and the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
Check the biscuits in the center for doneness with a toothpick. You should also be able to see the flaky layers on top.
TENTH STEP: Remove from the oven and serve immediately. Serve with additional pizza sauce, if desired.
- Spreading the Ingredients: When adding the pizza sauce, cheese, and pepperoni, make sure to spread them evenly over the biscuits. This ensures every bite is packed with flavor.
- Baking Time: Keep a close eye on the casserole during the last few minutes of baking. The biscuits should puff up, and the cheese should be melted and slightly browned. Overbaking can result in dry biscuits and burnt cheese.
- Serving Suggestions: This casserole is best served hot, right out of the oven. However, if you're serving it for a party or potluck, you can keep it warm in the oven at a low temperature until ready to serve.
- Making Ahead: This recipe is great for making ahead. You can prepare the casserole up until the baking step, then cover and refrigerate it. When you're ready to serve, simply bake it in the preheated oven.
How to Serve
Our Pizza Casserole with Biscuits recipe is a versatile dish that can be served in a variety of ways.
Suggestion 1: Serve it as a main dish for dinner, paired with a fresh green salad on the side. The freshness of the salad balances the richness of the casserole, creating a well-rounded meal.
Suggestion 2: This casserole can also be served as a hearty appetizer or snack during game nights or casual get-togethers. Cut it into smaller pieces for easy sharing.
Suggestion 3: For a more filling meal, serve the Pizza Casserole with Biscuits alongside a bowl of soup. The warm soup complements the cheesy and meaty casserole perfectly.
Storing this Recipe
Not only is this recipe delicious when served fresh, but it also stores well for future meals.
MAKE AHEAD: You can prepare the casserole ahead of time, up until the baking step. Simply cover the unbaked casserole with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store it in the refrigerator.
When you're ready to serve, bake it in the preheated oven as per the recipe instructions. This is a great way to save time on busy days.
IN THE FRIDGE: Leftover Pizza Casserole can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Make sure to cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap or transfer the leftovers to an airtight container to maintain its freshness.
IN THE FREEZER: If you want to store the casserole for a longer period, you can freeze it. Wrap the casserole dish tightly with plastic wrap, followed by a layer of aluminum foil. It can be stored in the freezer for up to two months.
REHEATING: When you're ready to enjoy the frozen casserole, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. Then, reheat it in a preheated oven at 375°F until it's heated through and the cheese is bubbly.
If you're reheating refrigerated leftovers, you can use the microwave. Heat the casserole in a microwave-safe dish on medium power, checking every 30 seconds until it's heated through.
Pizza Casserole With Biscuits
Our Pizza Casserole with Biscuits recipe is a delightful mix of comforting casserole and classic pizza taste. Its versatility makes it suitable for various occasions, from casual get-togethers to formal dinners.
The ease of preparation and adaptability of ingredients make it a favorite among both novice and experienced cooks.
Whether served as a main dish or a hearty appetizer, this Pizza Casserole recipe is sure to impress with its delicious flavors and satisfying textures.
Pizza Casserole with Biscuits
Love this recipe? Give it a 5 Star Rating
- 16.3 oz can Grands! Southern Homestyle Biscuits ( 8 big biscuits)
- 14 oz jar pizza sauce
- 1 tsp italian seasoning (divided)
- 2 ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 oz pepperoni slices
- pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut each biscuit into 8 pieces.
- Spread biscuit pieces in a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Pour ½ jar of pizza sauce and ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning over biscuits. Then stir to thoroughly coat all the biscuit pieces with a bit of sauce.
- Sprinkle about 1 cup of the cheese over the biscuit mixture and stir again to distribute evenly.
- Pour remaining jar of pizza sauce over the biscuit mixture.
- Top with remaining cheese and pepperoni. You may not need/want to use all of it, but you can for extra cheesy.
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes (desired amount) and remaining ½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning over the of the casserole.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the biscuits have puffed and the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.