Table of Contents
Moist and fluffy, pumpkin banana bread is a delicious quick bread recipe that is easy to make. Loaded with warm spices, this homemade bread takes your regular banana bread to a new level for fall enjoyment.
Sweet and spiced, pumpkin banana bread combines all the lovely flavors of fall into one yummy bread. The brilliant combination of pumpkin spice and sweet bananas makes a perfectly spiced bread that is a lovely addition to the breakfast table, enjoyed for a snack, or even turned into dessert.
Enjoy a thick slice of pumpkin banana bread all on its own, or slather the top with butter or whipped cream cheese. You can even pop a slice into the toaster to make the edges golden brown and just slightly crispy. Pair your bread with a warm mug of homemade pumpkin spice latte or hot chocolate.
So simple to make from scratch, this quick bread offers fantastic banana and pumpkin flavor. This yummy pumpkin banana bread will be one of your favorite fall recipes.
Pumpkin Banana Bread Ingredients
- Sugar - dark brown sugar
- Sugar - granulated sugar
- Oil - canola oil
- Pumpkin puree - canned pumpkin puree
- Banana - mashed
- Flour - all-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Milk - whole milk
- Pecans - diced pecans, or walnuts
There are fun ways to add a little something extra to your bread. You could add nuts, raisins, dried cranberries, or chocolate chips to the batter if you’d like.
Adding a caramel glaze is another optional lip-smacking addition to your pumpkin banana bread. The homemade caramel is drizzled over the cooled quick bread.
You can make lining your loaf pans quick and easy by purchasing parchment liners. Make a double batch and freeze the second loaf for later.
How to Make Pumpkin Banana Bread
FIRST STEP: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a loaf pan with baking spray.
SECOND STEP: Combine the brown sugar, sugar, oil, and eggs into a bowl. Stir to mix.
THIRD STEP: Mix bananas, pumpkin puree, and whole milk. Add to the sugar/egg mixture.
FOURTH STEP: Sift the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spices together. Add pecans or walnuts.
FIFTH STEP: Slowly add ⅓ of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients at a time, mix as you add.
SIXTH STEP: Pour into the prepared glass loaf pan.
SEVENTH STEP: Bake at 350°F for 85 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
EIGHTH STEP: Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
Can this quick bread be frozen?
You can freeze this great recipe by wrapping it in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil before putting it in the freezer. You can also store pumpkin banana bread in plastic wrap or an airtight container at room temperature for several days.
Can I make my own homemade pumpkin puree?
If you would prefer to use homemade pumpkin puree rather than store-bought, you certainly can make this substitution. If you purchase your pumpkin, watch out that you buy pure pumpkin purée and not canned pumpkin pie filling.
Can I use whole wheat flour?
You can make this yummy bread with whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour. You can also substitute the canola oil with coconut oil or applesauce.
How to Store Pumpkin Banana Bread
ON THE COUNTER: Store leftover pumpkin banana bread either in an airtight container or a Ziploc bag on the counter for 2 to 3 days.
IN THE FREEZER: To store this quick bread in the freezer wrap it well in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
Pumpkin Banana Bread
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup banana mashed
- 1¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ½ cup pecans diced or walnuts
Optional Homemade Caramel Drizzle
- 7 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a loaf pan with baking spray.
- Combine the brown sugar, sugar, oil, and eggs into a bowl. Stir to mix.
- Mix bananas, pumpkin puree, and whole milk. Add to the sugar/egg mixture.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spices together. Add pecans or walnuts.
- Slowly add ⅓ of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients at a time, mix as you add.
- Pour into the prepared glass loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 85 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
Optional Homemade Caramel Drizzle
- In a saucepan, combine milk, and brown sugar.
- Bring it to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat, simmer about 8 minutes, still stirring.
- Remove from heat then add vanilla and butter.
- Let it cool for about 5 minutes before drizzling over the pumpkin banana bread.