Last updated on
Table of Contents
If you’re looking for a new recipe to try for dinner this week, then look no further! Not only is this casserole cheesy and creamy, but it’s made with filling potatoes and sausage that will satisfy even the hungriest of eaters!
Meat and potatoes is generally described as a hearty stick to your ribs kind of dish, and this recipe is just that with a lot of cheese thrown in! Serve this dish with some glazed carrots or a light side salad and you’ll have the perfect meal! Try making some fresh tea to really balance everything out.
Comfort food comes in many forms, and this Polish dish is definitely one of them. Oven baked kielbasa and potatoes really takes the stage in terms of comfort food. If you are looking for something to add to your recipe book, then you should definitely consider this casserole dinner.
Kielbasa and Potato Bake Ingredients
- Russet Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Kielbasa Sausage
- All Purpose Flour
- Unsalted Butter
- Minced Garlic
- 2% Milk
- Heavy Cream
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic Powder
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Cheddar Cheese Soup
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
There are so many different ways that you can make this recipe, and any way you choose will be hearty and delicious! Try doing a sheet pan baked kielbasa potatoes and peppers, or even throw everything in the crockpot to really let the flavors mix together.
The best part about this recipe is you can even cook it in one skillet! The flavors of the kielbasa sausage will really soak into the potatoes along with the added seasonings. The cheese rounds everything out and makes it absolutely delicious without being overpowering.
How to Make Kielbasa and Potato Bake
FIRST STEP: Preheat oven to 350F.
SECOND STEP: Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
THIRD STEP: In a medium sized (2 Quart) pot, boil potatoes in water until tender (about 7 minutes). Do not overcook these – they should be tender but not mushy. Drain potatoes then place them in the prepared baking dish.
FOURTH STEP: In a frying pan over medium heat, lightly brown sausage pieces with olive oil (about 5 minutes). Add browned sausages to baking dish.
FIFTH STEP: In the same frying pan (now with just the leftover oil), add flour and butter and cook (over medium-low heat) until you no longer see the white of the flour.
SIXTH STEP: Add in minced garlic, milk, heavy cream, ground cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese soup. Stir together until simmering and sauce has thickened (about 3-4 minutes). Stir in shredded cheese. Remove from heat.
SEVENTH STEP: Pour sauce into pan with potatoes and sausage. Toss well to mix until all potatoes and sausages are coated in sauce.
EIGHTH STEP: Place in oven and bake 30 minutes.
NINTH STEP: Serve hot.
If you aren’t able to get kielbasa, then any type of sausage will work. It will change the flavor of the dish a little, but this dish is easily customizable.
Do not overcook the potatoes or else you will end up with a mushy recipe that is more difficult to mix together.
You can substitute fresh potatoes for frozen ones if needed, but you may need to increase the cooking time slightly.
Storing this Recipe
IN THE FRIDGE: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
IN THE FREEZER: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Note that storing cooked potatoes in the freezer can cause a minor texture change. They can become soggy, watery, or even become grainy once thawed. It is recommended to eat this dish fresh.
Kielbasa and Potato Bake
- 3 cup russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb smoked kielbasa sausage cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cup milk 2%
- 1/2 cup heavy cream 33%
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup 284 ml
- 2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium sized 2 Quart pot, boil potatoes in water until tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook these. They should be tender but not mushy. Drain potatoes then place them in the prepared baking dish.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, lightly brown sausage pieces with olive oil, about 5 minutes. Add browned sausages to the baking dish.
- In the same frying pan, now with just the leftover oil, add flour and butter. Cook over medium-low heat until you no longer see the white of the flour.
- Add in minced garlic, milk, heavy cream, ground cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese soup. Stir together until simmering and sauce has thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in shredded cheese. Remove from heat.
- Pour sauce into pan with potatoes and sausage. Toss well to mix until all potatoes and sausages are coated in sauce.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.