Table of Contents
This delightful orange fluff salad, also known as orange creamsicle fluff or orange jello fluff, comes together by blending jello, pudding, mandarin oranges, and marshmallows. It's incredibly simple to prepare and serves as a fruity dessert salad that's ideal for potlucks and summertime gatherings.
Jello Fluff Salad is a classic American dessert that enjoyed popularity during the1960s. Typically prepared with flavored gelatin, fruit, and occasionally featuring additions like marshmallows, nuts, or even pretzels, it has evolved significantly over the years.
Ingredients for Orange Fluff
What you'll need to make this orange fluff recipe:
- 1 (3-ounce) box of orange jello mix
- 1 cup of boiling water
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box of instant vanilla pudding
- 1 (15-ounce) can of mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) tub of Cool Whip, thawed
- 2 cups of mini marshmallows
Orange Fluff Variations
These easy substitutions and additions can easily be swapped out while still maintaining the deliciousness of this orange fluff jello salad recipe!
- JELLO: You can experiment with various jello flavors for this fluffy salad recipe. For instance, using strawberry jello can create a delightful strawberries and cream style salad, while opting for peach jello will yield a scrumptious peaches 'n cream flavor.
- FRUIT: If you decide to experiment with different jello flavors in this straightforward recipe, I would suggest complementing the change with a switch in the fruit selection. For instance, if you opt for strawberry jello, consider incorporating sliced strawberries instead of mandarin oranges.
How to make Orange Fluff
FIRST STEP: In a large bowl, combine the orange jello mix and boiling hot water. Use a whisk to stir until all the jello is dissolved, and then add in the cold water.
Use a rubber spatula to scrape around the sides of the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
SECOND STEP: Remove the jello mixture from the refrigerator and whisk in the dry instant pudding mix.
Use the rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl again to ensure all jello and pudding are dissolved.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it back in the refrigerator for another 15 to 20 minutes.
THIRD STEP: Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and gently fold in the mandarin oranges, whipped topping, and marshmallows.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it back in the refrigerator for at least one hour or until ready to serve.
Gently combine all the ingredients, as you don’t want to break apart the orange pieces.
To achieve optimal jello fluff texture, be sure to allow your salad to chill for a minimum of one hour. This time allows all the delightful flavors to meld together harmoniously.
This delightful jello salad is an excellent choice to bring along to potlucks or other types of gatherings, allowing you to share its deliciousness with your friends and family.
Its light and airy texture makes it a versatile addition and can be served as a side dish during a meal, or as a delightful dessert.
Have leftovers? Try this!
Here's a creative suggestion for your remaining orange fluff dessert: turn it into creamsicle-inspired popsicles! Simply transfer the leftovers into popsicle molds. Alternatively, you can spread it in a baking dish and, once frozen, scoop it out like ice cream. This delightful twist is sure to be a delicious treat!
Storing this Recipe
IN THE REFRIGERATOR: Feel free to prepare the orange fluff jello salad in advance. In fact, I suggest making it the evening before your intended serving time.
This allows the salad to chill in the fridge, allowing the flavors to meld harmoniously and giving the marshmallows a chance to gently soften. For any leftovers, ensure they are stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for a maximum of two to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: You have the option to freeze this orange jello salad recipe, and it will remain in good condition for approximately three months when stored in the freezer.
Please be aware that the texture of the marshmallows won’t be the same once they’ve thawed out. Since this is such a simple recipe to make, it’s best to make it fresh.
More Recipes You'll Love
Love this recipe? Give it a 5 Star Rating
- 1 3-oz box Orange Jello mix
- 1 3.4-oz box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup water (boiling)
- ½ cup water (cold)
- 1 8-oz tub cool whip (thawed)
- 1 15-oz can mandarin oranges (drained)
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- In a large bowl combine orange Jello mix and boiling hot water. Use a whisk to stir until all Jello is dissolved. Add cold water and mix. Use a rubber spatula to scrape around the sides of the bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator and whisk in dry instant vanilla pudding mix. Use the rubber spatula to scrape sides of the bowl again to ensure all jello and pudding are dissolved. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place back in the refrigerator for another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove bowl from the refrigerator and gently fold in mandarin oranges, cool whip, and marshmallows. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place back in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or until ready to serve.
- Make sure the mandarin oranges are well drained before adding them to the fluff mixture.
- Stir all the ingredients together carefully, as you don’t want to break apart the orange pieces.
- For best results, make sure you give your salad at least 1 hour of chilling time. It allows all of the yummy flavors to blend together.
- Use your leftover orange fluff dessert to make creamsicle-style popsicles by placing the leftovers into a popsicle mold. You can also spread it in a baking dish and scoop it up like ice cream once it freezes. It’s delicious this way!