Last updated on
Table of Contents
We are such huge fans of Shepherd’s Pie in our house! We love, love, love a recipe that we found a couple of years ago over at Simply Recipes and have tweaked it a little bit to make it our own, which it totally cheesy!
I’m really being serious when I say that we went through a time in our house that we had shepherds pie every couple of weeks. I think the combination of a good ground beef (we use grass fed organic), the flavorings, potatoes & cheese made it so delicious that we couldn’t get enough. We had it so bad that we even had to start making Chicken Shepherds Pie which you should really try! It’s a huge hit with kids and it’s a great alternative for people who don’t like beef.
If you live in Utah and need a good place to get Organic Ground Beef then you should try a little place called Real Foods. They have a store in Sugarhouse, Orem & St. George, UT! Their ground beef is a little expensive but it’s totally worth every penny! I don’t even like ground beef that much but will totally eat theirs any day of the week! I really believe that a good beef makes all the difference when cooking and I’d love for you to share in the comments section below where you like to shop for yours!
Cheesy Shepherds Pie
- 1 package of ground beef we use a 1 pound package of Organic Grass Fed Beef
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 cups frozen veggies cooked & drained (we usually use peas & carrots - but you can use a mixed veggie too)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups colby monterey jack cheese shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 packages of instant potatoes butter flavored + butter, milk & water needed to prepare these
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup + ½ can of milk
- Prepare your instant potatoes per package mix directions.
- Mix the cream of mushroom soup + ½ can of milk and whisk together and heat over medium low heat.
- In a large skillet cook your ground hamburger. Drain grease. Add your chopped onions and cook both together until hamburger is browned and onions are translucent and soft. Add your minced garlic & worcestershire sauce and stir together. Add your beef broth and cook until moisture has been absorbed. Add your cooked & drained veggies to the meat mixture and stir together.
- Pre-heat your oven to 400°. Pour your meat & veggie mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish. Pour your cream of mushroom soup mixture over the top of the meat mixture and spread out evenly. Sprinkle about ½ cup of shredded cheese over the top of the soup mixture.
- Spoon your potatoes over the top and spread out evenly. Salt & Pepper to taste. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top of your potatoes.
- Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned & the casserole dish is bubbling around the edges and in the middle.
- Serve with a side of bread and enjoy!
Here are some other recipes that you might enjoy today: