All the flavors of the southern classic, but in an easy casserole form. Layered with biscuits, gravy, sausage, eggs, and cheese, this hearty breakfast casserole is a favorite any time of the day.
Biscuits and Gravy Breakfast Casserole
A delicious combination of breakfast favorites, biscuits and gravy casserole is an easy casserole recipe that’s great to make for a family brunch or holiday gathering. Biscuit dough is topped with browned breakfast sausage, shredded cheddar cheese, whisked eggs, and prepared gravy, and then baked until piping hot and bubbly.
Packed with flavor, this stick-to-your-ribs recipe is a must for large get-togethers or just a simple Sunday morning breakfast. Even with so many breakfast delights in a single casserole, this dish takes just 15 minutes to prepare.
Biscuits and Gravy Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
- Butter - unsalted butter
- Onion - diced
- Biscuit dough - refrigerated biscuit dough cut into 2-inch pieces
- Heavy cream - or whole milk
- Garlic powder
- Cheese - cheddar cheese shredded
- Breakfast sausage
- Country gravy - country gravy mix packet will make 2 cups but you only want to use 1 ½ cups
You can use the refrigerated biscuit dough of your preference, such as buttermilk biscuit dough, or make your own homemade biscuit dough. You could even try using flaky crescent roll dough if you can’t find biscuit dough.
Breakfast sausage is available as patties, links, or even as ground breakfast sausage, and any of these sausage varieties can be used in this casserole. If you prefer you could also use Italian sausage, turkey sausage, or meat-free sausages for a vegetarian version.
Crispy potatoes and bacon would both make tasty additions to this breakfast casserole. Chop the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and boil them until tender before frying them in the pan with the onions. In addition to the cheddar cheese, Swiss, Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, or any other type of hard cheese can be used, or a combination of cheeses.
How to Make Biscuits and Gravy Breakfast Casserole
FIRST STEP: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
SECOND STEP: Layer chopped biscuit dough on the bottom of a greased 9 x 13-inch pan.
THIRD STEP: Melt butter in a medium-sized skillet pan and add in the onion. Cook onion until translucent, about 3 minutes.
FOURTH STEP: Add in sausage and continue cooking until sausage is cooked through and no pink remains.
FIFTH STEP: Drain sausage and sprinkle it over the biscuits.
SIXTH STEP: Whisk together cream, eggs, garlic powder, and oregano then pour over sausage.
SEVENTH STEP: Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the egg mixture.
EIGHTH STEP: Prepare gravy mix according to directions and pour 1 ½ cups over cheese.
NINTH STEP: Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and biscuits and eggs are cooked through.
TENTH STEP: Serve warm.
Can biscuits and gravy breakfast casserole be made in advance?
This casserole can be prepared ahead of time, covered in plastic wrap, kept in the fridge overnight, and baked right before serving. If refrigerated before baking you’ll need to add about 20 minutes to the original cooking time to ensure everything is cooked through. The casserole can also be frozen after baked and then stored in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Can I use homemade biscuits or gravy?
If you prefer you can use your own biscuit or gravy recipe, or both. Homemade gravy can be easily made by whisking together 3 tablespoons of butter, 3 tablespoons of flour, 1½ cups of whole milk, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
Can I use a different type of sausage?
Italian sausage, turkey sausage, or meat-free sausages for a vegetarian version can be used in place of breakfast sausage. You can choose either mild or spicy sausages for your casserole.
How to Store Biscuits and Gravy Breakfast Casserole
IN THE FRIDGE: Store leftover breakfast casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
IN THE FREEZER: This easy breakfast casserole can be frozen for up to 2 months. Once baked, allow the recipe to cool, then cover tightly with foil or plastic wrap. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat in the oven for 20 minutes before serving.
Biscuits and Gravy Breakfast Casserole
- 2 tablespoon butter unsalted
- ½ onion diced
- 10 ounces refrigerated biscuit dough cut into 2 inch pieces
- ½ cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1½ cup country gravy mix packet will make 2 cups but you only want to use 1½ cups
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Layer chopped biscuit dough on the bottom of a greased 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Melt butter in a medium-sized skillet pan and add in the onion. Cook onion until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add in sausage and continue cooking until sausage is cooked through and no pink remains.
- Drain sausage and sprinkle it over the biscuits
- Whisk together cream, eggs, garlic powder, and oregano then pour over sausage
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the egg mixture.
- Prepare gravy mix according to directions and pour 1 ½ cups over cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and biscuits and eggs are cooked through.
- Serve warm.