Easy to make, no-fuss Slow Cooker Coca Cola Chicken is full of delicious barbecue flavor. Perfect for a busy weeknight, this simple recipe is sure to become a new family favorite.
It doesn’t get much simpler than this slow cooker chicken recipe that produces a sweet and savory dinner with just 5 minutes of prep time. Made with just six basic ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, you’ll definitely want to keep this recipe as an easy meal for busy weeknights.
Slow-cooked to perfection, the chicken can be served as an entree or shredded and served as a sandwich on a hamburger bun. Shredded chicken can also be served over rice or in a tortilla as a taco.
Serve your chicken with traditional barbecue favorites like potato salad or coleslaw. Or make some homemade dinner rolls and toss together a green salad to serve with dinner for a complete meal.
Coca Cola Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken breasts - boneless, skinless chicken breasts, can be fresh or frozen)
- Pepper - black pepper
- Onion flakes - minced onion flakes, or you could use onion powder
- Garlic salt - seasoned salt made from a mixture of dried, ground garlic and table salt
- Barbecue sauce - use your favorite barbecue sauce
- Coca-Cola - or another carbonated beverage with sugar
Slow-cooking this recipe all day produces tender, saucy, chicken as the combination of barbecue sauce and Coca-Cola turns ordinary chicken breasts into a sweet and tangy dish. If you prefer your BBQ dishes with some more heat, you can also kick up the spice by adding a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
Easy to make with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, you can also make this recipe with your choice of chicken parts like leg quarters or drumsticks. You could also make the same recipe using pork chops, ribs, or a roast.
If you are planning to shred your cooked chicken it’s best to pull the chicken apart while it’s still warm. You can let it sit for a minute or two to cool, but don’t wait too long. There will be quite a bit of liquid in the slow cooker after the chicken has cooked through. Draining that liquid and then adding additional cola and barbecue sauce makes a nice, thick sauce for serving. Remember that every slow cooker is slightly different, and you may have to adjust the cooking times slightly depending on your particular model.
How to Make Coca Cola Chicken
FIRST STEP: Spread the chicken breasts in the bottom of a 6-quart crockpot.
SECOND STEP: Sprinkle the pepper, minced onion flakes, and garlic salt over the chicken. Pour ½ cup of the barbecue sauce over the chicken.
THIRD STEP: Pour 1 cup Coca-Cola into the slow cooker.
FOURTH STEP: Cover and set on a high setting for 4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
FIFTH STEP: After the chicken has cooked for about 3 hours on high (or 5 hours on low), drain all liquid from the slow cooker, leaving the chicken in the pot. Add the remaining ½ cup of Coca-Cola and the remaining 1 cup of barbecue sauce to the slow cooker. Continue cooking for the remaining hour.
SIXTH STEP: Serve whole with sauce spooned over the top or shred chicken and mix with excess sauce.
Can I use another type of soda?
Yes, you can make this with a different type of soda, like Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Root Beer, or even Coke Zero. While the taste might change slightly with a different beverage, it will still taste delicious.
Can I freeze this BBQ chicken dish?
You can freeze this chicken dish in an airtight container or plastic freezer bag for up to three months.
Can I increase the spiciness?
To increase the heat level you can add ½ teaspoon, or more, of crushed red pepper flakes. In addition, you could add slices of red or green bell pepper for color and flavor.
How to Store Slow Cooker Coca Cola Chicken?
IN THE FRIDGE: Leftover chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
IN THE FREEZER: Store leftovers in an airtight container or plastic freezer bag for 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat before eating.
Slow Cooker Coca Cola Chicken
- 6 chicken breasts boneless and skinless (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion flakes minced
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 ½ cup barbecue sauce divided
- 12 ounces Coca-Cola divided
- Spread the chicken breasts in the bottom of a 6-quart crockpot.
- Sprinkle the pepper, minced onion flakes, and garlic salt over the chicken. Pour ½ cup of the barbecue sauce over the chicken.
- Pour 1 cup Coca-Cola into the slow cooker.
- Cover and set on a high setting for 4 hours or low for 6 to 7 hours.
- After the chicken has cooked for about 3 hours on high (or 5 hours on low), drain all liquid from the slow cooker, leaving the chicken in the pot. Add the remaining ½ cup of Coca-Cola and the remaining 1 cup of barbecue sauce to the slow cooker. Continue cooking for the remaining hour.
- Serve whole with sauce spooned over the top or shred chicken and mix with excess sauce.