Table of Contents
Moist, delicious, and the perfect way to have a personal-sized dessert, mug cake with cake mix is ready to eat in a quick 7 minutes. With this easy recipe, you can indulge in a sweet treat whenever the craving sticks.
This delicious single-serving dessert, made in the microwave, satisfies your cake cravings without making a full cake. Just about the easiest dessert you can make, this mug cake with cake mix is ready to eat in just a few minutes.
Made with only a handful of simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, you can have a snack before bed or an after-school treat. Make this simple dessert more indulgent by adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a spoonful of whipped cream, or a handful of fresh berries to the top of the cake.
It’s super easy to customize your mug cake to your taste, and you can also make this mug cake with other flavors, giving you endless dessert options! Our version, made with Devil’s food chocolate cake mix, gives the cake a rich, decadent flavor.
Mug Cake with Cake Mix Ingredients
- Cake mix - chocolate cake mix, your choice of chocolate cake mix (I used Devil’s food cake mix)
- Milk - whole milk or you can use water
- Chocolate chips - semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Oil - vegetable oil
- Whipped topping - optional topping
- Sprinkles - chocolate sprinkles, optional garnish
This easy single-serve cake mix only uses a portion of the cake mix. The leftover cake mix can be separated into 7 snack-size Ziploc bags so that you can make more individual cakes the next time you have a craving!
You can substitute any flavor of cake mix for the chocolate cake mix, as well as the sprinkles. Try vanilla cake mix, strawberry cake mix, carrot cake mix, or spice cake mix for a few different flavors.
Using a wider and shorter cup for this works best and makes it easier to scoop out your cake. You can also double this simple recipe to share the rich cake with a friend. Just microwave cakes one at a time if you are making more than one. Keep a close eye on the cake while it’s in the microwave and cook it until the center is just set.
How to Make Mug Cake with Cake Mix
FIRST STEP: Lightly spray a 14-ounce coffee mug with nonstick cooking spray.
SECOND STEP: Add in the chocolate cake mix, milk, and vegetable oil. Stir (or whisk) the mixture together, paying close attention to the bottom edges inside the mug.
THIRD STEP: Stir in the chocolate chips.
FOURTH STEP: Microwave for 1 minute 20 seconds to 1 minute 30 seconds. I found that 1 minute 30 seconds was the perfect amount of time for my cake, but it will depend on how thick your mug is.
FIFTH STEP: Allow the cake to rest for 2½ to 3 minutes before garnishing the top of the cake with a dollop of whipped topping. Sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles if you wish.
Can I use a different kind of cake mix?
You can use any type of cake mix you want to make a mug cake! In addition to chocolate, you can try yellow cake mix, vanilla, spice cake, strawberry, or even Funfetti.
What else can I add to my mug cake?
In addition to the chocolate chips, you could add chocolate syrup or some cocoa powder to make it extra chocolatey. Try other flavors of chocolate chips like dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate, butterscotch, or peanut butter. For other flavors, you might add in pie filling, chopped nuts, or coconut.
What size mug should I use for this cake recipe?
A 14-ounce microwave-safe mug is just the right size for this great recipe. Remember that the cooking time will depend on the wattage of your microwave, but we find somewhere between 80 to 90 seconds is about right. Keep an eye on your cake near the end of cooking and watch for the center to be just set. Don’t overcook it, or you will end up with a dry cake.
How to Store Mug Cake with Cake Mix
IN THE FRIDGE/FREEZER: This easy mug cake recipe is meant to be eaten when made; it does not reheat well.
Mug Cake with Cake Mix
- ¼ cup chocolate cake mix your choice of chocolate cake mix. I used Devil’s food cake mix
- 2 tablespoons chocolate cake mix
- 4 tablespoons milk I used whole milk or you can use water
- 3 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Whipped topping optional topping
- 1 teaspoon chocolate sprinkles optional garnish
- Lightly spray a 14-ounce coffee mug with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add in the chocolate cake mix, milk, and vegetable oil. Stir (or whisk) the mixture together, paying close attention to the bottom edges inside the mug.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Microwave for 1 minute 20 seconds to 1 minute 30 seconds. I found that 1 minute 30 seconds was the perfect amount of time for my cake, but it will depend on how thick your mug is.
- Allow the cake to rest for 2½ to 3 minutes before garnishing the top of the cake with a dollop of whipped topping. Sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles if you wish.