Table of Contents
Layers of crispy tater tots, ground beef, and gooey cheese make this easy comfort food a family favorite. A recipe that satisfies the entire family is a hidden gem, which means you’ll want to make this casserole often!
What’s not to love about casseroles? Casseroles, or hot dishes, are hearty, comforting, and delicious all in one dish. Plus, they are one of the easiest ways to put together dinner on any night of the week.
Ground beef, potatoes, rice, chicken, and vegetables can all be made into a casserole. No wonder they are a popular choice for welcoming someone to the neighborhood as well and taking them to a potluck.
The best Tater Tot casserole is packed full of meat, creamy sauce, melted cheddar cheese, and of course golden tater tots. While casseroles are a complete meal all on their own, you can serve yours with some broccoli or a green salad to round out your meal.
Tater Tot Casserole Ingredients
- Ground beef
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Sour cream
- Worcestershire sauce
- Frozen mixed veggies
- Cheddar cheese
- Frozen tater tots
Parents know that casseroles are a great way to include some ‘extra' veggies. Feel free to throw in a can of green beans, peas, corn, or whatever your family likes best.
Another place where you can incorporate your family's favorite flavor is with the cheese. Most often made with cheddar cheese, parmesan tastes great as well. Experiment with a mixture of different cheeses to make this casserole your own family recipe.
Do you have a busy week coming up? Or want to take this dish to a friend? Turn your TaterTot casserole into a freezer meal. Instead of baking after you’ve assembled all the ingredients, wrap the dish tightly in aluminum foil and place it in the freezer. Let the frozen casserole thaw completely before you put it in the oven to bake.
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
FIRST STEP: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
SECOND STEP: In a large skillet cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until beef is cooked through. Drain if needed.
THIRD STEP: Add cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and Worcestershire sauce to the ground beef and mix thoroughly.
FOURTH STEP: Stir in vegetables.
FIFTH STEP: Place the beef and vegetable mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Top with 4 oz of freshly shredded cheddar cheese.
SIXTH STEP: Place frozen tater tots on top of the cheese layer. Depending on the size/shape of your dish, you may have some left over.
SEVENTH STEP: Bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with remaining 4 oz freshly shredded cheddar cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
EIGHTH STEP: Serve warm
Feel free to add any other veggies that you have on hand to the casserole including bell pepper, zucchini, or fresh mushrooms.
If you prefer you can use ground turkey instead of ground beef.
Feel free to substitute a different cream of soup variety for the mushroom soup.
You could make this a meatless meal by omitting the meat, and adding more vegetables if you prefer.
Storing this Recipe
IN THE FRIDGE: Let the casserole cool completely and then store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
IN THE FREEZER: Leftovers can be frozen for up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen mixed veggies I used a blend with green beans, carrots, peas, and corn
- 8 oz cheddar cheese freshly shredded, divided
- 32 oz bag frozen tater tots
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until beef is cooked through. Drain if needed.
- Add cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and Worcestershire sauce to the ground beef and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in vegetables.
- Place the beef and vegetable mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Top with 4 oz of freshly shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place frozen tater tots on top of the cheese layer. Depending on the size/shape of your dish, you may have some leftover.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and top with the remaining 4 oz freshly shredded cheddar cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve warm.