Last updated on
Table of Contents
Calling all chocolate lovers, this easy Chocolate Brownie Cake will quickly become one of your favorite cake mix recipes. Fudgy brownie meets fluffy chocolate cake to make the ultimate chocolate cake mix brownies.
Rich and moist, the name of this cake comes from its ingredients, it’s simply two boxed mixes combined into one. A chocolate cake mix and a brownie mix combine to make one incredibly easy dessert.
While the main ingredients for this dessert are the two box mixes, you won’t follow any of the directions on the back of either box. Instead, you’ll add in the ingredients and follow the directions in this recipe. And if this is your first time making a cake with mayonnaise as an ingredient you’re going to need to try making a Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake.
Chocolate Brownie Cake Ingredients
- Chocolate cake mix
- Fudge brownie mix
- Vegetable or canola oil
- Chocolate chips
- Heavy whipping cream
The best of both a chocolate cake and a pan of brownies, this recipe creates a chocolate lover's dream. Besides being incredibly easy to make, the end result is a cake that will stay moist for days.
The cake looks stunning as a Bundt cake, but you could make it in just about any pan. If you don’t have a bundt pan you could bake it in a 9x13 pan or make it using round pans and turn it into a later cake.
This cake is decadent even before you add the chocolate ganache on top, but that addition will certainly make it even more impressive. Other chocolate frostings that go well with this cake include chocolate buttercream or chocolate cream cheese frosting. You could also make it using a standard buttercream frosting as well.
How to Make Chocolate Brownie Cake
FIRST STEP: Preheat oven to 350°F.
SECOND STEP: In a large mixing bowl, combine chocolate cake mix, brownie mix, eggs, water, oil, and mayonnaise. Stir or mix with a hand beater until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips and stir to combine.
THIRD STEP: Lightly spray a bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray. Spread batter evenly into bundt pan.
FOURTH STEP: Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean (or with just a few crumbs).
FIFTH STEP: Cool cake for 10-15 minutes; remove from bundt pan to cool the rest of the way on a cooling rack.
SIXTH STEP: When the cake is cooled, prepare the ganache.
SEVENTH STEP: Heat heavy cream in a small saucepan or a microwave-safe container until steaming.
EIGHTH STEP: Pour cream over chocolate chips in a small bowl.
NINTH STEP: Cover with a plate for 2-3 minutes to contain the heat and allow the chocolate chips to soften.
TENTH STEP: Whisk until the mixture forms a smooth, glossy ganache.
ELEVENTH STEP: Pour ganache over the cake and serve.
Make clean-up easier by placing the cake on a cooling rack over a baking sheet when pouring the ganache over. This way the drips are caught on the cookie sheet for easy cleanup.
You can use either milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips in place of the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
You can use sour cream instead of mayonnaise. The mayo, or sour cream, adds a ton of moisture to the cake.
To help the cake come out cleanly from the bundt pan, carefully run a rubber spatula around the sides and center of the pan before removing the cake. Place a cooling rack on top of the bundt pan and then invert your cake to remove it from the pan.
Storing this Recipe
IN THE FRIDGE: Cover and store any leftover cake in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
IN THE FREEZER: Leftover cake can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month. It’s important to note that the ganache doesn’t freeze as well as the cake. Thaw your cake in the fridge before eating.
Chocolate Brownie Cake
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 box chocolate cake mix I used Triple Chocolate Chunk
- 1 box fudge brownie mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup chocolate chips I used semi-sweet chocolate chips but you could use milk chocolate or dark chocolate
FOR THE GANACHE
- 2 cups chocolate chips I used semi-sweet chocolate chips but you could use milk chocolate or dark chocolate
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine chocolate cake mix, brownie mix, eggs, water, oil, and mayonnaise. Stir or mix with a hand beater until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Lightly spray a bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray. Spread batter evenly into a bundt pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, or with just a few crumbs.
- Cool cake for 10 to 15 minutes; remove from bundt pan to cool the rest of the way on a cooling rack.
- When cake is cooled, prepare ganache.
- Heat heavy cream in a small saucepan or in a microwave-safe container until steaming.
- Pour cream over chocolate chips in a small bowl.
- Cover with a plate for 2 to 3 minutes to contain the heat and allow the chocolate chips to soften.
- Whisk until the mixture forms a smooth, glossy ganache.
- Pour ganache over cake and serve.