Table of Contents
Chocked full of chocolate flavor, chocolate dump cake is a rich chocolate dessert made with three different kinds of chocolate. This amazingly moist cake is made with just 5 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep time.
Chocolate Dump Cake
A chocolate dessert you can’t resist, each delicious bite is loaded with rich chocolate flavor. Chocolate cake mix, chocolate pudding, and chocolate chips are baked together to create a delicious tasting and a quick dessert you can put together any day of the week.
Enjoy a slice of cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a dollop of whipped cream, and a drizzle of hot fudge or caramel sauce over the top. Sink your teeth into this delightful dessert and then wash it down with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk.
Chocolate dump cake is an impressive looking dessert that is an amazingly moist cake and easy to make. Simply pour all of your ingredients into the pan, bake, and enjoy this tender cake bursting with chocolate flavor.
Chocolate Dump Cake Ingredients
- Butter – unsalted butter
- Cake mix – chocolate cake mix
- Pudding – box instant chocolate pudding
- Milk – whole milk
- Chocolate chips – semi-sweet chocolate chips
Dump cakes are gooey and moist, which can make it hard to determine if they’re done. It’s normal to see some wet spots as well as some spots that are more crisp and done.
When you’re buying the cake mix, it’s best to pick one that doesn’t have pudding in it. When you’re picking out chocolate chips you can use dark dark chocolate chips in addition to the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
To get the right texture and consistency you’ll want to be sure that you use a 9”x13″ pan. If you use an 11″ x 7″ pan the cake will turn out too thick.
How to Make Chocolate Dump Cake
FIRST STEP: Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick spray and preheat your oven to 350°F.
SECOND STEP: Sprinkle the chocolate cake mix evenly in the dish.
THIRD STEP: Sprinkle the instant chocolate pudding mix evenly across the cake mix.
FOURTH STEP: Add the milk to the butter – make sure the butter isn’t hot, so the milk doesn’t curdle.
FIFTH STEP: Pour the milk/butter mix on top of the cake and pudding mix.
SIXTH STEP: Use a whisk to mix slightly – you don’t need to stir entirely, but you do want it slightly incorporated so that it bakes evenly.
SEVENTH STEP: Sprinkle the entire bag of chocolate chips across the top.
EIGHTH STEP: Place in the oven to bake for 40-45 minutes.
NINTH STEP: Serve warm with ice cream.
What kind of cake mix should I use?
You could use either a plain chocolate cake mix or a devil’s food cake mix for this recipe, just make sure to pick a cake mix that doesn’t have pudding in it.
Can chocolate dump cake be made ahead of time?
Chocolate dump cake can be made up to 2 days ahead of time. Best served warm, you can warm up the cake again before serving it.
What is a dump cake?
An easy cake to make, dump cakes are made by ‘dumping’ ingredients into a baking pan without mixing and then baking.
How to Store Chocolate Dump Cake
IN THE FRIDGE: Store leftover chocolate dump cake in the refrigerator covered tightly with plastic wrap for up to 5 days.
IN THE FREEZER: text. Chocolate dump cake can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight and then bake at 350°F for 10 to 20 minutes until it’s warmed back through before serving.
Chocolate Dump Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick, 113 grams), melted but not hot
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 (5.1 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 1 (12 ounces) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick spray and preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle the chocolate cake mix evenly in the dish.
- Sprinkle the instant chocolate pudding mix evenly across the cake mix.
- Add the milk to the butter – make sure the butter isn’t hot, so the milk doesn’t curdle.
- Pour the milk/butter mix on top of the cake and pudding mix.
- Use a whisk to mix slightly – you don’t need to stir entirely, but you do want it slightly incorporated so that it bakes evenly.
- Sprinkle the entire bag of chocolate chips across the top.
- Place in the oven to bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream.